Author Topic: Mysterious design feature  (Read 8557 times)

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
Mysterious design feature
« on: August 08, 2013, 11:46:26 AM »
As you guys know, the P323 is a well-though out, well-designed boat.  Things fit well, and everything seems to have a reason.  Well, except one thing that baffles me, thus my call to your collective wisdom.

Opposite the table, stbd side.  Remove the cushions, and there - just above the water tank - there is an angled recess.  Pretty big, too.  Hmmm. For a cushion put in at an angle?  Add a door for a secret compartment? Doesn't seem to be one on the port side.

Like I said, everything in the boat seems to be there for a reason - the reason for this beats me.  Probably something obvious.  But just though I would ask!

Rusty Pelican

• P323
  • http://rustypelican.blogspot.com/
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Rusty Pelican
  • City: Hingham
  • State: MA
Re: Mysterious design feature
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 04:11:08 PM »
That an easy one. The starboard settee on my boat has a pull out that makes for a large single. One pulls out about 1 ft of bed board and then pull out the cushion to match.  The void you see is where the excess cushion fits when not deployed for the large single.
Did a PO buy new cushions? Not sure if the pull out was an option.  Pearson had lots of options.
If you pull the starboard cushion, you may find the bed board. The pull out bed board fits in slots and has a latch directly above the water tank
Good Luck
BobG 

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 04:44:03 PM »
That's the case on my port side, exactly as you described...but the stbd side just has the table, which drops down to make the double bed, and the Mystery Slot (tm) is on the sbd side .. also, the geometry doesn't not seem to work, as the Mystery Slot (tm)  is triangular - about 1' deep aft, tapering to 0 at the forward part.

Probably be me being dense, ;D I'll have another look and see if the bed hypothesis has legs.

Rusty Pelican

• P323
  • http://rustypelican.blogspot.com/
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Rusty Pelican
  • City: Hingham
  • State: MA
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 06:15:55 PM »
Oops I miss read it.  My guess is they just mirrored the mold to save cost.  Just a guess
BobG

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 09:48:45 AM »
Are you referring to the spot where rolled charts are stored????

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 11:50:03 PM »
Hey Alma - interesting idea - too small for standard charts, and deeper in the stern end, but I am sure I can fit a few smaller ones in there.  Definitely the best suggestion yet!