Author Topic: Whats the safe passenger capacity for the 323?  (Read 8746 times)

The Great Godsea

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: The Great Godsey
  • City: New Rochelle
  • State: NY
Whats the safe passenger capacity for the 323?
« on: July 02, 2013, 12:07:18 PM »
that old formula (length*width)/15, for which i'm using (LOA<ft>*BEAM<ft>)/15 produces 21.3!

that can't be right.

i think this formula applies to smaller powerboats. but i haven't found a good formula (any formula) for sailboats.

i'm guessing the answer is "however many sit comfortably in the cockpit... which sounds like 6 or maybe 7 people.

but i'm guessing there are some seasoned experts on this site who can clarify. i dont want to be within a MILE of the max capacity.. but i'd like to know where it stops being SAFE.  Thanks all.

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
Re: Whats the safe passenger capacity for the 323?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 03:52:26 PM »
Ha!  A timely question.  On the 4th, I am going to anchor out to watch the fireworks...my daughter wanted to invite some friends.  "Sure", I said, "how many"?  "8-10"

Hmm...8+4=12 minimum.  Seems a mite overcrowded to me, even though we won't be sailing - especially with 8 who had never been on a boat before.  So I was a Grumpy Old Man and limited it to 4 extras (i.e. 8 total).

A lot depends on what you are doing, and the weather conditions.  If you are just motoring around, you can carry a higher number.  In light winds, fewer.  In heavy winds, even less.  Racing, you to balance space with hands to move fast! (And before you ask I am still almost last :-)

I think the ideal for racing is 5 (nav/spotter/skippper, helm, 2 jib sheets, 1 mainsheet.)  We often carry 6 in the cockpit, anything above that is railmeat.  6 does get a bit crowded when things are getting a bit windy and we are all on the uphill side.  Recreational sailing, 6-8 max.

I'd also be interested in what others say!

I think we could safely carry more, e.g. down below, but not a lot of fun for them.

Dulcinea

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Dulcinea
  • City: Mamaroneck
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 05:11:44 PM »
WinkMouse you ask a good question.  When does it stop being safe?  There's probably some formula using cockpit volume divided by some number plus another factor and multiplied by the volume of alcohol consumed.  My standard is when it stops being fun it's probably not safe either.  Naturally you can overload the boat a bit if you're at your mooring watching fireworks.  But underway (and especially if some of the guests are new to sailboats) just one or two additional bodies can seriously impede the safe operation of the boat.  We did the fireworks thing at the mooring last July 4th and one guest getting out of the yacht club launch thought he would use the flag staff as a hand hold to pull himself up. He broke the flag pole, pulled the socket out of the deck and fell back into the water with the flag pole socket (lost) and all.  It wasn't even dark yet, hours from the fireworks and already I was not having fun. 

The Great Godsea

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: The Great Godsey
  • City: New Rochelle
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 04:28:31 PM »
so, went out with 6 people on a little harbor cruise this weekend. that felt like a good, safe number.. no one forced to sit on deck or up on the bow, nor stuck inside getting knocked around. i think more than that would have been... unnerving. Thanks very much for your input folks. really very helpful.