Author Topic: Propeller free wheeling...or not?  (Read 6883 times)

Sea Haven

Propeller free wheeling...or not?
« on: June 30, 2013, 03:37:29 PM »
Shipmates,

Back in the day when I owned my Bristol 29.9, I was a member of their on-line community as well.

The question of what position to keep the gear lever in when the boat is sailing led to two school of thoughts, often leading to an ongoing, sometimes colorful argument.

1-Locked (in gear): PRO-Eliminates undue wear and tear on the drive system. CON-Increased drag, therefore decrease in speed under sail.
2-Freewheeling (Neutral): PRO-Decreased drag, therefore decrease in speed under sail. CON-Undue wear and tear on the drive system.

The argument of course as to whether free-wheeling props actually causes undue wear on the shaft, stuffing box and transmission.

Not knowing how robust my ATOMIC 4 Walther "V" drive" is, I'm naturally wondering which method my new to me  P323 shipmates prefer?

FWIW, I cruise and "racing" never really interested me (at least until know because some sorta competitive itch is growing lol) So I always kept my BRISTOL in reverse gear (no particular reason for reverse other than the gear lever was installed backwards so it was pushed fwd for reverse) when I sailed, hoping to greatly extend the service life of my transmission since I' m a "cheap" sailor lol. I suppose if I ever joined the weekly Thursday night race, I can leave it in neutral just during the race, allowing the best of both worlds. But again, what about long term cruising where a knot or so greatly saves time at the end?

If the preference is to lock it I assume I would lock it in forward since reverse uses friction as opposed to a locked position? I discovered that several weeks ago backing out of a slip (previous owners) for the first time with a 2 kt cross current lol! Thought I had a bum transmission until I "carefully" read the topic: "Backing up my P323" Thank goodness I keep Sea Haven on a mooring!! So much easier and private. My two 14W solar panes keep both batteries fully charged, but that for another discussion.

Thanks!

"Sub" Ed

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
Re: Propeller free wheeling...or not?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 12:20:07 AM »
Always a topic of debate! Personally, while 'racing' I leave it in neutral; otherwise, in reverse.  But this is not based on science...

This article - for catamaran's, but....I found convincing: http://www.catamaransite.com/propeller_drag_test.html

Also, Yanmar engines generally require owners to lock their drives under sail.  Not sure how it applied to a v-drive, but telling nonetheless:
DATE February 8, 2008 rs and OEMs
TO: All Marine Distributors, Deale Sailing
SUBJECT: Gear in Neutral WhileODELS: All Sailboat Engines

We continue to get questions regarding the correct gear position while sailing with the engine OFF. This advisory is issued as a reminder; Yanmar requires that if sailing with the engine OFF (not running) the transmission shifter must be in the neutral position or internal damage to the gear or sail-drive will result. This damage will not be covered by Yanmar’s Limited Warranty. Please instruct customers and dealers who deliver the sailboat to the customer, of the correct (Neutral) position for the marine gear while ailing.

If the customer desires that the propeller shaft not spin while sailing, either a folding propeller, shaft break, or other suitable device may be used. However, Yanmar accepts no responsibility for the selection, installation, or operation of such devices. Please also refer to Marine service advisory “MSA07-001_Yanmar Sail Drive Propeller Selection” for additional information.

Sea Haven

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 03:39:12 PM »
Thanks Selene!
I take it that is meant for Yanmar Transmissions.

FWIW, I went to the horse's mouth itself, here is the response from the Walter Machine Company!

Needless to say, I will lock it forward when I sail.

Ed,

For the V-Drive, it would be preferable for the shaft to be locked or to use a "feathering prop" while sailingIn either case, this would prevent the V-Drive from turning and building up heat and wearing internal parts.  If the V-Drive is allowed to "free wheel", it is important for the V-Drive to have sufficient cooling water so that it does not get too hot.

I hope this information is helpful !
Don
THE WALTER MACHINE  COMPANY, INC.
 -  Established 1927  -
84 - 98 Cambridge Ave
Jersey City, NJ   07307    |    USA
201  656  5654  -  Main
201  656  0318  -  Facsimile
DonC@waltergear.com

Disclaimer:  This message from The Walter Machine Co., Inc. and any attachments may
contain confidential information.  This is intended for the company or individual named above. 
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and then delete it from your system
immediately; please do not forward, copy, print, use or disclose this communication to others.
Please consider the environment before printing

Sweet Pea

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Sweet Pea
  • City: Bayfield
  • State: WI
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 01:04:52 AM »
Sea Haven, does locking the transmission in forward stop the shaft from turning? I tried setting my shift lever to both forward and reverse while sailing and the engine off and the shaft never stopped turning. If the shaft is turning does that mean the transmission is turning? I'm still not sure where to have it set when sailing.  :-\

Sea Haven

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 08:50:41 AM »
Sweet Pea

Mine indeed "locks"  in the FORWARD (past the detente) position. I had confirmed that while out of the water this past winter. There is no way I can turn it by hand! Also, I don't see the shaft turning underway.

If your prop rotates underway while in the fwd, LOCKED position, that tells me something is wrong/slipping.

"Sub" Ed