Author Topic: Spreaders  (Read 21340 times)

Dulcinea

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Dulcinea
  • City: Mamaroneck
  • State: NY
Spreaders
« on: December 24, 2012, 07:22:25 PM »
Does anyone have a measurement for spreaders? I'm interested in knowing the length of the spreader from the mast end to the point where the cap shroud contacts the spreader. RigRite has the spreader but mine seems to be a different measurement from what they have as a standard for the 323. My boat is a 1978.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 08:06:43 PM by admin »

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
Re: Spreaders
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 12:10:49 PM »
Funny you should ask.  I just measured mine a few weeks ago as part of my winter 2012/13 mast rebuild project.

I too couldn't find an exact match at RigRite, although the Spartan SP-512 seemed the closest.  They do call it out as being used on the P-323, and they have a spreader base for the SP-512 that is matched to a Sound Spars 7747 mast, which is what I'm pretty sure I have too.  That base looks just like the ones I have, and is also called out as having been used on some P-323s,

My spreaders have a straight section towards the base, followed by a tapered section towards the tip, and have the "twist-lock" tips for capturing the rigging.

Anyway, here's the (rough) spreader measurements from my 1977 P-323:

Width at base: 4"
Thickness at base: 1 3/8"
Untapered Length: 21 1/2 "
Full Length (excluding tip fitting): 45"
Full Length to inside of bearing surface inside tip: 45 3/4"
Width at tip: 1 3/4"
Thickness at tip: 5/8"

These were taken with a tape measure, so the thicknesses and widths were eyballed and could be a bit off.

But the critical dimension, (base to bearing surface), should be good.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 03:12:35 PM by Dolce_Vita »
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

Dulcinea

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 01:40:31 PM »
Thanks Ed.  One more question:  Does your spreader have a hole in it that corresponds to a hole for a clevis pin in the spreader base?  I've been looking at the SP 512, but the SP 165 is the only one that also indicartes it is for Pearsons and shows the spreader base with the clevis pin hole.  (and boy is RigRite proud of these spreaders......about $500/ea! yikes
Dennis

Dulcinea

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 02:00:10 PM »
...and even more confusing is that the SP 165 is almost exactly your length: 3'9 1/4", or 45 1/4" whereas the max "standard" length for the SP 512 is almost 48".   

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 03:22:44 PM »
Yeah, it is confusing.  My spreaders and bases have a hole for the single clevis pin that holds the spreaders on.  This lets them move around a little fore and aft when the rigging is loose.

Note the crack at the base from too much movement.  I'm having this welded rather than buying replacements!
@(^.^)@  Ed
with rebuilt Atomic-4

Dulcinea

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 04:17:59 PM »
I have the same crack in both spreaders.  One just started and one has already been welded by a PO.  One of mine must have had some vertical movement too since the tip of the spreader where it contacts the shroud has a groove in it almost down to the spreader body.  I'm probably looking at new ones, unless I can get new tips from RigRite.  i wonder if a welder can a welder "unweld" the current tips and insert others and weld those.  Just a thought? 

Other than the cracked spreader, how did your rig look after you took it down?
Dulcinea
(Dennis)

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 12:09:29 PM »
Both spreaders had cracks, and one had a lot of "sawing" on the edge from the wire main halyard chafing on it.  Otherwise things looked good aloft.

As expected, the mast base was a mess.  Not enough corrosion to be a structural risk yet, but there were one or two places that had perforated the mast wall. And the step was a rusty mess, and difficult to remove.  I'm getting 2" cut off of the mast, and a new step fabricated.
@(^.^)@  Ed
with rebuilt Atomic-4

rbrtfeld

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: RockStar
  • City: San Pedro
  • State: CA
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 02:42:08 PM »
Dolce Vita, who do you have for fabricating the new mast step? I would like to have your contact number to see if they can build one for me. Mine is getting to the point that it will probally need to be replaced in the next year or two. A picture on the web site would be helpful when you get it.  Thanks

Blue Heron

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Blue Heron
  • City: Sandusky, OH
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 07:46:13 PM »
Hey Dolce Vita...My Blue Heron is also a 1977, and the spreaders are in the same condition, although the mast base shows no problems (freshwater boat).

Do you know if anyone has tried those spreaders and bases from Rig-Rite?

By the way, THANK YOU for ALL of the informative posts. You have responded to several of my questions with helpful info, pictures, etc...it is much appreciated!!!

Chet

Dulcinea

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 04:13:40 PM »
OK, I'll try to close this thread out a bit for anyone interested.  I started it with a question about spreaders.  For the record, and my boat is a '78, hull 148, the correct spreader is an SP 512 (as Ed has stated) mine has the twist lock end, fits over a spreader base with a hole for a clevis pin through the spreader and the base, and mounts to a 7747 mast.  I tried ordering these from Rig Rite who sent me very specific information in the only email I got from them on what they had in their warehouse, only to find out they didn't have it all after numerous follow up calls.  They stated that they are making changes in their equipment and will be able to turn these out with a 6-8 week lead time.  Unfortunately, other than having a shop tool up to produce these, they may be the only option for replacements.  I gave up and had mine welded and saved $1000 and 6-8 weeks of the sailing season. 

As far as my mast step is concerned, Rig Rite had it from mid December 2012 and finally shipped it to me last week, late March.  No reason to order these from anyone other than Carter Fabricators, already mentioned on this thread.  I have never worked so hard to spend $1500 on my boat.  A learning experience.

Rusty Pelican

• P323
  • http://rustypelican.blogspot.com/
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Rusty Pelican
  • City: Hingham
  • State: MA
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 05:19:12 PM »
Dulcinea, I had my spreaders welded, did not hold up.
I wrapped the end of the spreaders with high quality hose clamps and tightened them up big time.
Lots of 3M white electrical tape for chafe prevention. I pull the mast every year and remove one spreader from the base for access below. I slice the tape and reuse it next year with a a fresh layer.
Absolutely no further spreader problem.
P323 1979 #174

Dulcinea

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 05:51:05 PM »
Thanks Rusty.  We'll see what happens, I'll check them at the end of the year and see how they have done.  My welder stated that his next idea if this doesn't hold is to weld a stainless steel band (probably) where you have the hose clamps.  May serve the same purpose, look more finished and be stronger.  Who knows?  I'm grasping at straws at this point.  I'm confused by your statement about removing "one spreader from the base for access below".  Am I missing something? 
Thanks again,
Dennis

Rusty Pelican

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 10:30:47 AM »
Sorry, you did not miss anything.  I drop the mast on the deck in the fall,  and with my cover on the boat I need to remove a spreader to get below.
The hose clamps are at the very end of the spreader where it attaches to the spreader base.
The look is very clean, I use the same amount of anti chaff tape (3M white electrical) as before the clamps.  The clevis pin and cotter pins are taped
The hose clamps have been in service for 20 yrs now, with no expansion of the cracks.
I am removing cover today, let me know if you need any pictures

Bob

Dulcinea

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 12:38:04 PM »
Thanks.  Sure I'd love to see it if not too much trouble.
Dennis

Rusty Pelican

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 01:12:59 PM »
Hope this works.  I f you need the hi rez originals, email me.
BobG