Author Topic: Winch parts  (Read 9176 times)

Dulcinea

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Dulcinea
  • City: Mamaroneck
  • State: NY
Winch parts
« on: November 23, 2012, 10:42:28 PM »
The primary winches on my boat (I suppose most 323's) are Lewmar 43's.  On removing and disassembling them it is apparent that I need pawl springs and circlips at a minimum.  Must I go directly to Lewmar and pray they still support a 34 year old winch or does anyone have a source? ....or are pawl springs and circlips interchangeable?
Dulcinea

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
Re: Winch parts
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 11:51:39 PM »
Personally, I just the parts I needed at West Marine.  Well, pawls and springs for sure.  Lewmar parts, it seems, are little changed over the years, and are widely available from chandlers and online (e.g. Defender.com).  Lewmar themselves, by all accounts, are also very responsive for old winch parts.  A friend had a Pearson 26 (smaller winch), and dropped one of the gears overboard (!); Lewmar could still provide a replacement part.

I could have sworn my main winches were '42s.  I'll have to have another look next time I'm on board.

Dulcinea

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 09:57:33 PM »
Thanks Selene.  Turned out I got some of what I needed at West Marine.  As to the winches, you got me thinking and, since mine are in the garage now, I rechecked them and they are 43's, two speed.

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 11:11:19 AM »
Ha!  Turns out mine are 42's (2-speed). 1980 model. 

Say, the drums of my winches are almost clean of chrome.  If it's not hijacking the thread too much, has anybody re-chromed their winches?  Any advice/recommendations?

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 10:57:49 AM »
Interesting that you have 42s and 43s.

My original winches from 1977 (actually built in 1976) were two-speed non-self-tailing Lewmar 40s.  These were really undersized when the wind was up.  The admiral couldn't grind them then.  I replaced them with Andersen ST45s and that size is much better suited to the boat.
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

Dulcinea

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 10:21:30 PM »
Hey Selene, I had the same thought on re chroming the winches.  Found a guy in New Rochelle, NY with an old world shop and tons of boat experience. Eric Turner.  His family has been in business there since the '30's  Seems to do a lot of high end stuff  Google his web site. Nice fellow.  I took mine up there and he said he would charge me $75 per winch.  I jumped all over that.  They are in his shop now. When I get them back I will post a pick. I can't wait to see the finished product.
Dulcinea

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 11:30:49 PM »
Dulcinea,

Any feedback on your re-chroming experience?  I'm going out of town for a few weeks, and so that seemed like a perfect time to send mine off to get re-chromed.

Thanks,

Paul