Author Topic: Seawater Intake Valve  (Read 7251 times)

My Cyn

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: My Cyn
  • City: Alameda
  • State: CA
Seawater Intake Valve
« on: September 01, 2011, 09:13:19 PM »
The seawater intake valve (in bilge, port side of keel, between the two cabin sole hatches) on My Cyn is a gate valve. Appears to be original equipment. I would like to replace the valve with a Groco flanged seacock. I have taken some measurements and I will need to relocate the thru hull to provide enough clearance for the replacement seacock.

Has anyone done this modification? If so, I would appreciate any lessons learned that can be provided.

Thanks

Bill

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
Re: Seawater Intake Valve
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 11:37:10 PM »
A simple ball valve will work on the stock seawater inlet. It's unlikely you would step on this valve and shear it off so you might want to go this route. Moving the seawater intake is easy. Repairing the old hole with a 12-1 patch is tedious. You'll get advice the flanged seacock is necessary- I don't use one for the engine intake.

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 04:45:39 PM »
A simple ball valve will work on the stock seawater inlet. ...

A previous owner x 2 did this on ours, and it works out fine.
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

My Cyn

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: My Cyn
  • City: Alameda
  • State: CA
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 01:01:29 PM »
Thanks for the information. I replaced the valve (used for the galley sink raw water intake) last week with a Groco ball valve and a new thru-hull fitting bedded in 5200.

I used plenty of Teflon tape between the 3/8" NPT threads (on valve) and the 3/8" NPS threads on the fitting. It turns out the the existing valve/thru-hull fitting was a bit loose where it passed thru the hull.

I know the pros frown on mixing NPS and NPT threads, but I feel a lot better with the new set-up. Good for another 33 years.

Regrads,

Bill