Author Topic: Interested in a 323, how does it handle in light wind?  (Read 13423 times)

Frag

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • City: Montreal
Interested in a 323, how does it handle in light wind?
« on: August 31, 2012, 02:01:15 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am new to this community and read a lot in your forum lately, because I am seriously considering a Pearson 323.

I recently exchanged few emails with Richard Rollins, owner of the Libations Too. I asked him a question that he answered very well, but he told me that I should ask you guys the same question to get different opinions.

I might join you as a proud owner of a 323 in the next few weeks. But it really depends on what I will learn from this thread. I am reading a lot …and I mean a lot. I just finished “The Annapolis Book of Seamanship” and I am actually taking the ASA 101 as well as the VHF classes. It would be my first vessel. Yes I know the 323  is quite big, but I really want to sail with my family and I am 6’0’’ tall. I want to be able to sail few days without feeling too cramped in the tight space of a 25 footer.

The Pearson 323 seems to answer all my needs. But here is the question I asked to Richard ... I would to get your opinion on this:

How the Pearson 323 handles in low 4-5 knots winds. I would navigate mainly on a fresh water lake and wonder if it is more a “sea” boat with such a big displacement. Wind is not always strong here. I have no problem cruising at low speed since I am not the racer who wants to win type. If I do race, I will be there for the ride and the learning challenge itself.

I am the cruiser type, but I would not like to always run on the motor as well. So how much wind it really needs to start moving? Would I enjoy cruising the 323 in light wind?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 02:44:55 AM by SeaFever »

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
Re: Interested in a 323, how does it handle in light wind?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 09:28:56 PM »
Very difficult to be objective. ;)...the 323 scores very high on comfort and stability for her size.  The main disadvantage I seen in my 323 is that it is difficult to point as high as a modern boat - my latest theory is that as the jib track is outside the shrouds you can't bring the jib close enough to the main to point higher (and of course that shallow, "fat" keel does not help!).  As a consequence, I am generally towards the back of the pack in the local beer-can races. But I am not an avid racer - like you, more for the learning than the winning! However I should note if you are on a broad/beam reach, she is performs very well - broadly competitive with a more modern (lighter) boat - so I don't think a 323 is especially "slow".

In light winds, she moves slowly but steadily.  Over winter, when the winds are lighter in NorCal, I use my big Genoa (140%).  The sail size will clearly be important.  A friend just got a lovely spinnaker for his 323; I did not see it in use, but with a chute I bet you would move nicely in lighter winds. As long as there is a whisper of wind, the old girl will sail.

By the way, the shallow "fat" keel may not help in pointing, but is a great asset if you are in shallower water (Lake?).  I have often skimmed over shallows where modern keelboats stuck fast!

I hope this helps....

Captain Bri

• Brian
  • Ensign
  • Sailmaker
    • View Profile
    • RedSkySails.com
  • Model: Ensign
  • City: Anytown
  • State: Ct
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 08:39:39 AM »
A few comments on light air sailing in general.  I spent a lot of years lake racing in the western region of high plains where light air sailing is the norm - interrupted by gusty/shifty conditions.  We typically had our best regattas on light air days.  With any sailing vessel it is very challenging to create lift and maintain forward momentum in the conditions you describe.  It general it requires careful trim, patience, and an understanding of your boats hull and rig.  Lots of time on the water with your boat is needed to develop these skills.

With that said I have had good results with the P323 in light air. Recently we had a coupling failure on the prop shaft inside of Beaufort Inlet, and after spending the night we decided to sail her back the 5 miles up the waterway even though little wind was in the forecast.  As I am still new to the P323 I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to navigate the inside portion of the inlet where multiple tidal areas converge and get back to the dock in a few hours.  My general opinion is the P323, as a light-heavy displacement boat, fairs well in its class of cruising boats in light air conditions.

Good Luck!
Men and Ships; Rot in Port

Libations Too

• P323
    • View Profile
  • City: Berkelely, CA
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 11:30:36 AM »
Brian, what sail combination did you use during your light-air return to dock? And what prop configuration do you have on SeaFever? I have always thought that the stock 3-blade fixed prop is a huge liability in light air.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 11:36:19 AM by Libations Too »
Richard

Captain Bri

• Brian
  • Ensign
  • Sailmaker
    • View Profile
    • RedSkySails.com
  • Model: Ensign
  • City: Anytown
  • State: Ct
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 06:45:14 PM »
I have the stock 3 blade propeller.  My mainsail is pretty typical with partial battens and low to moderate roach (seems like it is a bit undersized).  The genoa is a 130% with the panels oriented vertically (warp oriented).  I like the versatile size of the 130% genoa which is good under most conditions.

I agree that the prop does generate a lot of drag while sailing.  In fact I found a Martec folding prop on Craigslist for a good price which I am considering.  I understand the feathering props may be the best solution but are quite an investment.
Men and Ships; Rot in Port

Chelsea

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Chelsea
  • City: Muskegon
  • State: MI
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 12:55:42 PM »
Hello Frag, I'm a relatively newbee with my P323 having added "Chelsea" a year ago on the 19th.  This past weekend on Muskegon Lake (Adjoins Lake Michigan) we were sailing with 5 knot winds wing on wing and going 3.5 knots passing others with no problem and we weren't racing.. just cruising.  She has a 150% Genoa and a new Main full batten from FX Sails.  (Great new sail)
I went to the P323 from a Coronado 27 and enjoy the size and sailing ability she affords.  Have been in 8 foot seas on Lake Michigan and very comfortable.
If any other questions please let me know.
Lauri
s/v Chelsea

Dulcinea

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Dulcinea
  • City: Mamaroneck
  • State: NY
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 09:50:26 PM »
Doesn't go well to weather. Too beamy. Lots of other attributes to recommend it, including comfort, but if you plan to spend a lot of time close hauled, and if that is a decision metric you need to be looking at another boat. Old P36 maybe.

Noted that someone chose to "smite" me for this posting. Really?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 10:04:36 AM by Dulcinea »