Author Topic: Anchor Platform  (Read 9910 times)

Thera

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Thera
  • State: TX
Anchor Platform
« on: July 14, 2012, 10:16:38 PM »
Can some one provide proximate dimensions to build an anchor platform for Pearson 323?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 02:42:08 AM by SeaFever »

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
Re: Anchor Platform
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 11:52:29 AM »
Welcome to the P323 Owners Forum!

The P-323 came standard with a bowsprit/anchor-platform.  Your's doesn't have one?
I'm sure one of us here could take pictures & measurements.  It's a large-diameter
U-shaped SS tube, attached to the hull with flanges at the ends, and with a single
SS bolt on the stem fitting.  A small flat cross-piece of SS bar supports two teak
boards that form the surface of the platform.  An SS anchor roller is welded
onto the starboard side.

By the way, are you the new owner of the "Thera" that was for sale in
Boston (Hull #PEA58106M78B)?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 12:05:04 PM by Dolce_Vita »
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

Thera

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 12:14:03 PM »
Pictures are already on the owners web. I need dimensions to build one.

and, Yes I am the Thera new owner. Thera is moving to TX.

Libations Too

• P323
    • View Profile
  • City: Berkelely, CA
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 02:01:11 PM »
For what it's worth if I were to start from scratch I would add one or two rod supports/braces running from the platform to a fitting on the stem just above water line. My boat has a platform and seems to work just fine. But I do worry about it when using the engine to break out an anchor with the rode running over the roller. Has anyone sustained damage to their platform structure when breaking out an anchor?
Richard

Thera

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 07:52:13 PM »
I decided not to start from scratch, but for something already available and modify accordingly.

The part has already two supports/braces from the platform to a fitting on the stern and I will use following your recommendation.
I will build the fitting on the stern, add angles on the front and rear on the current arc to support the teak platform, and add a roller for the anchor.

Do you recommend one or two rollers for anchoring?

Libations Too

• P323
    • View Profile
  • City: Berkelely, CA
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 09:37:38 PM »
I think whether to have one or two anchors ready at the bow is somewhat dependant on one's cruising ground, ground tackle, personal preferences, etc. But having two rollers sounds like a good idea to me, especially if you are already building your own platform. One consideration would be the fore and aft alignment of the two rollers. If they were in the same fore-aft position the widest part of the chosen anchors my conflict with one another; a slight fore-aft offset may serve well in this regard.

A related issue is how to secure the anchors and what to do with the chain/rode. I secure my Delta at the shank and at the crown, and would recommend something similar with most anchors that will remain at the bow. On my 323 the hatch/lid to the anchor well is built to accommodate one chain running to the anchor well. If I added a second anchor this lid/hatch would need to be modified.

Lastly, is the relationship of the bow platform structure to the bow chocks, and the resulting path that the rode will see when at anchor (I do not leave my rode on the bow roller when anchored). On my boat the rode lies gently against the platform structure, which serves to keep the rode from rubbing against the hull. If you have fittings or attachment fasteners be sure that they will not be a source of chafe to the rode.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 03:21:36 PM by Libations Too »
Richard

Captain Bri

• Brian
  • Ensign
  • Sailmaker
    • View Profile
    • RedSkySails.com
  • Model: Ensign
  • City: Anytown
  • State: Ct
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 06:55:32 PM »
If I were to start from scratch I would definitely opt for a second roller.  I had an estimate for a modification from a local expert but it was too expensive for my budget.  I would feel much better with another style of anchor on a second roller.  I have been known to use two anchors when scope is an issue and/or a big tidal flow when east coast cruising.  Or even just a lighter anchor that is easy to handle -- Although it sounds small I would like to add a Danforth high tensile 20 to my inventory as recommended by some highly respected locals (NC Outer Banks). 
Men and Ships; Rot in Port

Dulcinea

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Dulcinea
  • City: Mamaroneck
  • State: NY
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 09:26:53 PM »
For what it's worth, my boat did not come with a bow sprit either. I would be very interested in fabricating and installing one if someone could come up with a source for retrofit.