Pearson Boats - Common Systems > Engine and Drive Train

Is there a special type of diesel fuel for the Volvo MD11c engine?

(1/1)

diamondgirlsails:
I just purchased a Pearson 323 with a Volvo MD11c engine.  The tank is about 1/3 full and I'm starting to think about getting fuel.  I'm pondering if the diesel sold at gas stations will work.  Please kindly advise.  Thank you!

selene:
AFAIK there are two main types of diesel.

The stuff sold in gas stations, which works fine. Also called on-road or clear diesel. It's what I have been using in my Westerbeke for 10+ years.

"red dye" diesel. Very similar to the regular diesel, but cheaper, as it is tax-exempt. If you put it into your car and it is discovered, you may get a fine. But in your boat it is legal.

There is also #2 diesel, normally used in long-distance trucks, and biodiesel. #2 diesel (I am told) will work fine, but has a lower cetol rating and so will be more difficult to start, especially in lower temperatures.

I have no experience with biodiesel.

One other tip - you may want to consider a fuel additive. Depending on how long you leave fuel in the boar, some algae will happily start consuming the fuel (!), and some stabilisers also improve starting. Personally I use biobor JF - but I am no expert!

diamondgirlsails:
Thanks selene.

Your response confirms information I've garnered since my initial post.  I'll look into using an additive.

chuck stas:
Thanks for that info.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version