Author Topic: Anchor rode/windlass placement  (Read 6673 times)

AnaMeg

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: AnaMeg
  • City: Superior
  • State: WI
Anchor rode/windlass placement
« on: September 18, 2011, 01:01:57 PM »
Has anyone added or seen a windless that uses the forepeak space for rode storage? Is it feasible? Would it cause odors in the v-berth? If there is a long chain in the rode is the weight a problem?

Has anyone had a windlass installed to empty into the existing anchor locker? How high must the windlass be and how is it mounted.

These questions because most windlass mounting directions ask for 12" of drop for the rode. That can't be done with a surface mounted windlass in the 323's anchor locker.

Any suggestions for windlass mounting appreciated.

Geoff

Now or Never!

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Now or Never!
  • City: Brunswick
  • State: GA
Re: Anchor rode/windlass placement
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 02:35:31 PM »
I've been looking for a way to put a windlass on Now or Never!  There was some information offered by posters on the Yahoo Groups Pearson site.

http://groups.google.com/group/pearson-boats?hl=en.

If you use the empty space in the forepeak, I would glass in all in and put a drain hose that would drain through the same drain as used by the current chain locker.  No sense getting all that stink in the bilge.

One post from Joel on PokeyIII:
I installed a Lewmar so it drops (and pulls) the chain through the ventilation hole that was already there. I converted the space in front of the v-berth into a chain locker. The anchor locker holds the the second anchor and its rode. In the attached pic, the anchor has been removed for winter storage and the chain is running into the anchor locker to keep it stowed and out of the way. I also attached a pic of the bow as it was before the instalation. I had to raise the windlass so that the chain would run true to the bow roller. It still hits the toe rail, though. I intend to install a rasil there to protect the wood, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Another post:

Re: Windlass

I installed a Lewmar in the anchor locker of my P 323. I have uploaded pictures
into the group photo album under "s/v Redeemed Windlass Installation." I have
had the set up for two seasons and it works great. The pictures were taken
today and reflect the fact that this last summer was a hard summer for me and my
boat.

Steve