Author Topic: Ahoy from ELIZABETH, P-40 (hull #12) in NW Florida  (Read 1303 times)

wddick

• P40
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P40
  • Vessel Name: ELIZABETH
  • City: Gulf Breeze
  • State: FL
Ahoy from ELIZABETH, P-40 (hull #12) in NW Florida
« on: April 10, 2023, 06:32:37 PM »
Greetings all!

While I finally joined the site and forum last evening, I've lurked for awhile.  The P-40 was clearly not a great commercial success as reflected in just a three-year production run, but it is such a wonderful boat.  The owners' association (Pearson40.org) is dormant, so surely the best way to meet other owners is to step up here and whistle loudly.

The Commodore and I purchased our '79 P-40 a year ago and trucked her straight to the Pensacola Shipyard for refit.  That put us in the middle of trying to move a project along during COVID-19 and a long logistics challenge.  However we got her back in the water last December and have enjoyed shaking her down as weekends and weather allow.  With clean bottom and a feathering prop ELIZABETH is showing us seven-plus knots in moderate breezes on the Pensacola Bay so the wait was worth it.  The challenge of the moment is that we are a few birthdays past being fully-qualified winch-grinders so while we think like racers we sure don't look like such.

Meanwhile, a few rainy days have been devoted to poking around in the engine compartment and exploring the bilge.  Not surprising for her age, ELIZABETH has her share of mystery wiring runs and I'm getting my money's worth from an amazon endoscope.  I'm glad to have a community here to help me figure out what makes this thing go.  (And stay afloat.)  I'm also interested in advice from any who have good solutions to the "insurance for older boats" challenge.

I look forward to "meeting" you and sharing info on Bill Shaw's marvelous creations.

David & Glyn (and Kori the Seadog)
Gulf Breeze, FL
[img][img]

chuck stas

• P303
    • View Profile
  • Model: P303
  • Vessel Name: not named yet
  • City: trappe
  • State: Pa
Re: Ahoy from ELIZABETH, P-40 (hull #12) in NW Florida
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2023, 08:57:46 AM »
good looking boat, best of luck enjoy.

Vitis01

• P37
    • View Profile
  • Model: P37
  • Vessel Name: Velouria
  • City: San Francisco
  • State: CA
Re: Ahoy from ELIZABETH, P-40 (hull #12) in NW Florida
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2023, 04:33:33 PM »
Hi!  I'm new here too.  We just bought a '88 P37-2.

Matt and Liz