Author Topic: Cruse to the DTortugas  (Read 6261 times)

Kropka

• P323
  • Kropka at her dock @ The Harborage in St.Pete
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Kropka
  • City: Clearwater
  • State: FL
Cruse to the DTortugas
« on: April 19, 2011, 11:01:21 AM »
Hi,
 some of us(2 to 3 boats) here in the  Tampa area are planning  a sail to the  D Tortugas  dep. 21st of May  ret. 29th of may or  when ever  for  others.
  Would  like  to  invite  any one boat owner to  join us.
  let  me  know  by  replying  on this  forum.    ;D
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 01:56:56 AM by SeaFever »
P &  M  Somkowicz
s/v Kropka  #82
Clearwater,FL

Kropka

• P323
    • View Profile
Re: Cruse to the DTortugas
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 02:35:12 PM »
It  looks like  we shall leave on Friday,  so far winds  show  to be  from the  W, then  turning to  the S , on Sat. 
   so  by staying  as close to the  wind on Fr.  might  be  able  to   sail SE  when it  turns  to  the S.
  the   10 day   forcast  changes  daily.
P &  M  Somkowicz
s/v Kropka  #82
Clearwater,FL

Kropka

• P323
    • View Profile
Re: Cruse to the DTortugas
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 09:44:35 AM »
Just to report   that we  had a  a very  sucsesful  sail to and back from the  DT.  We left on Fr. the 20th 5pm , with  the  out  going tide , so we cleared  Tampa Bay, in 3 hrs.   then  out  past  Egmont, the  wind  fizzeled and  switched to the  NW, so   main/yanmar duo, went into action.
   No rain   the  whole trip.  The other  P-323 which had left earlier out of  Long Boat Key,   turned around  30  miles from destination when  oil pressure dropped !!    I hear  so far  ,  the  engine is fine.  I would  have  kept on going.
  On our  return  trip, we had   E  wind,  which propelled us  at  6 plus knots.  covering  more than 60  miles in the  1st 9 hrs.
  Then it  switched ,   and  we  went  back  to  the   main/Yanmar  combo.
  We  left  Wed. before 8am , arrived   at Egmont Key  Thu.  around 4pm .  We stayed there  the  next  3 nights,  and  vegetated, and  relaxed.
   Never saw  as many  motor boats on Sat.    Always  some  idiots in the crowd which    motor  by  at a high rate of  speed  among  the  anchored  boats !!!  @#%$&
  We plan to  do the  same   trip next year  same  time   same  date.  We  may   start  the  trip  in  the  AM, so  we  have  2 days  and  1 night , instead of 2 nights  and one day out there.
  The only  thing  that we  had  happen  with   our  "new"  re powered Yanmar , is  that  the  belts   got  very loose, consequently I had to  help it  to get the   raw water pump circulating.   The  123Watt. solar panel did a good  job  satisfying the   fridge during the day. Next  I shall get a  wind gen, to  help it  during the  breezy  nights.
  I welcome any one  who  would  like to  join us  next year to sail to the  DT.

P &  M  Somkowicz
s/v Kropka  #82
Clearwater,FL