Author Topic: Garhauer Rigid Vang.  (Read 2653 times)

Valor

• P323
  • Pirate Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: VALOR
  • City: GLEN COVE
  • State: NY
Garhauer Rigid Vang.
« on: May 24, 2022, 09:01:37 AM »
Hi everyone,

Just returned from a sail to Block Island. Great sail. I only had 1 casualty,  the mast bail for the boom vang was forcefully removed from the mast without prejudice by the 30 knot gust that smashed us. It literally ripped right off the boat.

Figured now would be the time for a rigid vang. I see many of you have installed them. My question is which model Garhauer vang did you guys get? Some of you have mentioned making the spring stronger? Any input would be helpful. Thanks.

Mike
Michael M

1978 Pearson 323 Hull #108.
Yanmar 3GM30F

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
Re: Garhauer Rigid Vang.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2022, 04:07:46 AM »
I installed mine in 2014, so all I have are some (cryptic) notes and my dodgy memory to rely upon! And I am not an engineer...

Basically - talk to Garhauer (Mark?). They know their stuff and will give the best advice.

The good news - I sent bent wire mast profiles, exchanged a couple of emails with Mark, and what I got back was exactly what I requested, built to the usual Garhauer high quality standard. Very happy with it.

I did ask for the plates on the mast to be made 2" larger than usual, to wrap further around the mast; Mark agreed to do this. I don't know if it was necessary, but a nearby boat had a (non-Garhauer) rigid vang torn out of the mast, which to be honest freaked me out! I was thinking of how you would repair a compromised mast like that...anyhow, I reckoned instead of relying solely on the threads of the bolts to hold the vang in place, the bolts themselves would be stronger. It's shocking to me how thin our masts are, and how soft the Al...

One issue with the P323 is that the available height between the deck plate and boom does not result in an optimal vang angle/placement. I did an analysis of the vang angle on other boats, seeing vangs typically in the 34-38 degree range - so the worked with Mark to get the optimal dimensions. My results:

Boom Angle:      30º
Upper tube:      30"
Inner tube:      24.5"
Total uncompressed   52 1/4"   
Total Compressed   48"      

I discussed this with Mark, and he explained that this length is as short as it can be - even though the angle is not optimal.  I validated this, in that compressing the vang shortens it by 4 " instead of my target of 6" - but make it any smaller and it will not be able to compress. This gives a boom vang angle of 32º when compressed - not ideal, but adequate.

I hope this helps!

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2022, 11:16:34 AM »
I may have fasteners you need I’ll need to check.

I used plastic insulators between mast, boom and brackets to reduce galvanic corrosion.

These insulators can b made from suitable plastic bottles coolant bleach or oil. Be sure to sandwich the insulators when you use brackets as drill guides or holes won’t line up. Then u can tap threads in the spars.

If I have the machine screws I used I can send u some

Valor

• P323
  • Pirate Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: VALOR
  • City: GLEN COVE
  • State: NY
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2022, 11:05:18 AM »
@Selene, Thank you for the information. Do you feel you have more control over the boom after you installed the rigid vang or with the older purchase system? Do you still use the topping lift or did you remove it? You speak of compression, but how high can you raise the boom? Usually when I reef, I need to raise the boom with the topping lift. Can this still be done or will the vang top out? Thanks in advance.

Michael
Michael M

1978 Pearson 323 Hull #108.
Yanmar 3GM30F

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2022, 04:52:30 PM »
Hi Michael!

My old vang system was a block and lines. I guess people were stronger in the 1980s, as I found that setup almost impossible to trim (as an aside, I also hated the traveller setup for the same reason). So personally, I find the Garhauer setup much easier to use and adjust. And now I have adjustments other than "on" and "off"!

Personally, I have removed the topping lift and have had no issues (except the sail not longer hits the topping lift when tacking).

I have slab reefing, and the vang (when released) keeps the boom high enough for me to reef without an issue.

As ever, your mileage may vary...and I am always learning new stuff, and so would welcome feedback or diverse opinions on any of these points!

BTW, Alma's comments about insulation are well made (I used plastic from milk bottles). And, of course, lanocote or similar on the screws. Let's keep these boats sailing another 4o years :-)