Author Topic: mast foot bracket.  (Read 3298 times)

chuck stas

• P303
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P303
  • Vessel Name: not named yet
  • City: trappe
  • State: Pa
mast foot bracket.
« on: April 12, 2022, 09:53:08 AM »
Good Morning, I'm trying to get some info on a part for a 1983 p303
At the bottom of the mast there's a bracket holding the mast onto the keel in the bilge area.  it seems rusted, anyone know it I can buy the replacement part or do I need to have it made ??
any info would help.

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
Re: mast foot bracket.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 07:20:10 PM »
You'll have to have one made.  Its not a complicated job.  I had a new mast step for my P323 made by Carter Fabrications in Millersville, MD out of 1/2" aluminum plate.
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

chuck stas

• P303
    • View Profile
  • Model: P303
  • Vessel Name: not named yet
  • City: trappe
  • State: Pa
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2022, 08:44:20 AM »
Thanks for the info I'll look the up.

DavidG

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Independence
  • City: Georgetown
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2022, 03:40:42 PM »
Dolce_Vita, Thanks for the fabricator that did your mast plate as I am not sure whether I need one... yet!?  I have what I believe to be superficial rust on mine when I inspected it.  Most of the plate still has what looks like epoxy paint from when it was blasted and repainted 5-6 years ago.  There may have been some welding rebuilding done on it as I was rubbing around on it and felt like there was some weld buildup from maybe where there was previous pitting.  However, I see you went with Aluminum; would this because of elimination of dissimilar metals?  How has yours been holding up and did you coat it with anything or anodize it?  in the meantime, before I pull the mast for a demanding reason, I will clean mine up and epoxy paint it to keep on top of its maintenance.  I am interested in your thoughts!?

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2022, 02:27:48 PM »
David,

The yard painted my aluminum mast step with Awlgrip.  This has held up perfectly at the step/mast interface, but there is some surface corrosion around the stainless steel lag bolts and washers that secure it to the keel, as I did not provide any additional galvanic isolation there.
@(^.^)@  Ed
with rebuilt Atomic-4

DavidG

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Independence
  • City: Georgetown
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2022, 08:24:59 PM »
Ed, I think this is the case for the boat I am buying; it looks painted with a high-quality paint too.  I will take a picture of it when I go back for the survey.  Mine is definitely steel and the rusting (superficial, at least at this point) is along a weld line - the rest of it 90% looks really good.  It could be associated with the bolting like yours, so I will take a closer look.  I may go ahead and have one fabricated out of aluminum like yours, it is a good idea.  Not sure if the fabricator needs it in hand to copy or is there a drawing/specs out there?  I would like to have one on the shelf for when I do pull the mast, but for now I will clean this one up and epoxy paint it as my first project when I get the boat home! Thanks for the fabricator as I have added them to my references!

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2022, 11:31:59 AM »
Carter did not make or keep plans for the 323 step, unfortunately.  When I did mine, galvanic corrosion had badly eaten the bottom of the mast, requiring the removal of 4" if it.  The new mast step had to make up this difference.  I sent Carter the old rusty steel step plus the cut-off mast section and they used them as a pattern.
@(^.^)@  Ed
with rebuilt Atomic-4