Author Topic: Hi, I am new to the forum and would like to introduce myself.  (Read 3966 times)

grzano

• P323
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Summer Wind
  • City: Staten Island
  • State: NY
Hi, I am new to the forum and would like to introduce myself.
« on: October 29, 2020, 09:32:14 PM »
My name is Greg and I just love the Pearson 323. I owned my last 323 for 14 years and she had a partial sinking and battery fire, it was time to let her go. I am on the second one that I purchased on September 15th. She's on the hard and I am loving her with some refit projects. It's my first Atomic 4 so there is a definite learning curve with that engine, but I am finding it is a solid performer and easy to work on. I am adding the following to this boat:

1) A new pressure water system.
2) New Hot Water Heater.
3) New Thruhulls, (Bronze).
4) Updating the instruments and chart plotter.
5) Adding a new Sea Strainer.

I am thinking of converting the icebox to a fridge unit, but am having trouble figuring out how many Cf it is. If anyone can help me and answer this question I'd be very grateful.

I'll post some photos when I can figure out how that works.

Bless you, all, and have a great day.

Greg
I'd rather be sailing!

1978 323, Atomic 4

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
Re: Hi, I am new to the forum and would like to introduce myself.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 08:42:56 PM »
Greg, Welcome!

The volume of the 323's OEM icebox is huge, close to 6 cu. ft.!  And the insulation is terrible.
Not wanting to rip it all out and build a better box, about 4 years ago I built a "box within a box",
adding several inches of insulation and cutting the volume down to about 3 cu. ft.

The first two images are the original box with the shelf removed. Note the cold plate installed by previous owner.

Image 3 is the reduced/insulated box with 2 to 6 inches of new insulation, sealed w/ aluminum tape.

Image 4 is the new box, constructed from sheets of FRP and sealed with food-grade silicone.
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

grzano

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 06:08:52 PM »
Hello Ed,

I really appreciate your reply and photos. I will let you know what I eventually do and how it works out. I was thinking of and looking at the ISO Therm units. They seem to be fairly good units.

All the best,

Regards,

Greg
I'd rather be sailing!

1978 323, Atomic 4

grzano

• P323
    • View Profile
Re: 323 refer unit
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 03:56:18 PM »
Hi Ed,

I took the plunge and bought an Isotherm 2501 from Defender Marine, with my membership it cost $912.00. It's good for 7cf.

I was looking at your photos and note that you put the FRP on top of metal insulation. Can you tell me what you brand of insulation you used, thickness is see is 2-3 inches and covered in aluminium tape, R-value and whether it is closed cell foam? It also looks like you came rather straight up and eliminated the recessed area, or is this a misconception?

I'll send photos when I am installing it later in the spring. Hoping the snow melts soon. lol.

Best regards,

Greg
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 09:44:15 PM by grzano »
I'd rather be sailing!

1978 323, Atomic 4

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
Re: 323 refer unit
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 05:12:49 PM »
I was looking at your photos and note that you put the FRP on top of metal insulation. Can you tell me what you brand of insulation you used, thickness is see is 2-3 inches and covered in aluminium tape, R-value and whether it is closed cell foam?

I used 1 1/2" sheets of foil faced polyisocyanurate foam, purchased at the local Lowes.  Polyisocyanurate has an R-value of about 5.6 per inch, so the 1 1/2" sheets are about R8 to R9.  Polyiso has a better R value than most foams, but it can absorb moisture over time, thus the need to use aluminum tape to seal all the cut edges.  I used differing amounts in different places, anywhere from one to four sheets thickness (that was on the bottom).

It also looks like you came rather straight up and eliminated the recessed area, or is this a misconception?

I removed the shelf, and filled in the small recessed areas on the side before covering the side with a single large sheet. (see attached).

@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

BlueLagoon

• P530
    • View Profile
  • Model: P530
  • Vessel Name: Blue Lagoon
  • City: Chula Vista
  • State: CA
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 11:22:36 PM »
I am in the process of installing my refrig and freezer.  I decided to go with VIP insulation panels and two sea frost compressors.   I worked with a company called RParts on the design and assembly of the VIP Panels.  They work with a VIP manufacture and then skin the panels with fiber board so you can glue and paint the them. 

Frankx

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Pearl
  • City: Jersey City
  • State: NJ
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2021, 09:36:12 AM »
Hi I must change out the fresh water pump in my 323.  Can you supply the PN and manufacturer?
thanks
Frank