Pearson Boats - Common Systems > Standing & Running Rigging and Fitting/Tuning

Jib Car replacement

(1/3) > >>

SailRxSin:
So the sheaves on both of my genoa jib car blocks disintegrated this weekend during some heavy sailing.  Is it possible to get the jib cars off by just taking off a few screws of the jib track instead of taking off the whole track?  Has anyone done this?

Dolce_Vita:
Take out the one screw in the black plastic end cap and remove it. The car can then be removed off the end of the track.

The car can be simply and economically repaired by drilling out the rivet and replacing the sheave. A stainless screw and a nylock nut replace the rivet. Be sure to retain and reuse the bronze bushing from the old sheave.

I thought I did a thread here somewhere, with photos, but I couldn't find it.  Anyway, here's some photos:

SailRxSin:

--- Quote from: Dolce_Vita on August 10, 2021, 02:43:41 PM ---Take out the one screw in the black plastic end cap and remove it. The car can then be removed off the end of the track.

The car can be simply and economically repaired by drilling out the rivet and replacing the sheave. A stainless screw and a nylock nut replace the rivet. Be sure to retain and reuse the bronze bushing from the old sheave.

I thought I did a thread here somewhere, with photos, but I couldn't find it.  Anyway, here's some photos:

--- End quote ---

Thanks so much!! Great idea instead of spending $150 on each new car

Dolce_Vita:
I’ve done two of these so far. I purchased enough sheaves and bolts to do all four. Since they’re all the same age, once one fails, the others can’t be far behind.
All for much less than the price of a single replacement car.

SailRxSin:
You are correct, both of mine exploded on the same weekend.  You have 4? 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version