Author Topic: New AIS Radio  (Read 2122 times)

harbin2

• P31
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P31
  • Vessel Name: True Blue
  • City: Hummelstown
  • State: PA
New AIS Radio
« on: May 28, 2021, 04:15:00 PM »
The message below was originally posted on the cbpsa.org forum 4/27/2017 by Ron Harbin

I've tried several times to connect my (Garmin) chart plotter to my VHF (icom).  The radio has DSC and I wanted the radio to know where it was (Long/Lat) all the time so the Coast Guard (and other vessels) would know where I was if I were ever in distress.  This spring, I tried for the last time - and gave up.  I put the radio on Craig's List and got half what i paid for it - it was only 3 years old.

The replacement radio is a Standard Horizon GX-2200.  It has the GPS built in so there is no need for an input from the chart plotter.  It also has an AIS receiver.  I got it online  from the GPS Store for just over $300.  Several other makers have similar radios but prices are double what I paid and I like Standard Horizon hardware and instructions.  Installation was fairly easy and so was the setup.  I feel the controls are very intuitive.  In addition to the radio, I got a remote mic (my old radio would not accept one).  The mic is also very well designed and has all the AIS functions built it.  As a bonus, I connected the new radio up to my Garmin chart plotter and was amazed at all the AIS features that are available there (target displays, alarms, data, etc.).

Like lots of electronics these days, this thing will do things you can't even imagine.  But, besides the obvious features, there are a few that I hope to try and use.  I'll try to remember to update this post after I've had a few months to play with my new toy.