General Category - Pearson Owners and Enthusiasts > General Discussion

1978 Pearson 323 cutless bearing replacement

(1/2) > >>

grzano:
Good evening my fellow intrepid captains.

I am having an issue with my cutless bearing. My boat has a 1 1/8 bronze shaft going into a bronze strut. I purchased a strut-pro tool but the collets are too large and will not fit between the shaft and the strut.

Has anyone in this forum replaced their cutless bearing without removing the shaft, which looks like a major PIA, if yes, how did you do it and what size bearing goes back into it? If you made a tool, did you take photos of same? I did check the forum before buying the bearing and think that I have the right bearing, but getting the old one out is becoming an issue.

Any assistance would be great.

Thank you all,

Fair winds and following seas.

Greg

Valor:
I'm doing mine at the end of this season. I was looking for a way to do it without removing the shaft as well. The only idea I came up with was to buy 2 cutlass bearings, cut one of them in half down the length and use that as the collet because you know it's the exact size you need. I know it's a waste but pulling the shaft a aligning everything is a PITA as well.  That's probably the way I will be doing it next year with some sort of homemade contraption I have seen on Youtube.

Alma:
You may like this one-

https://www.sailmagazine.com/diy/give-your-running-gear-an-upgrade

grzano:
Hello and thank you for your replies. I hired the yard to do it, they have not done it yet, so, the results are not in, lol. I'll let you know what happens.

Thank you.

Alma:
If you sail down to Barnegat Bay let us know for a get-together.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version