Author Topic: NEW Volvo Penta MD11D 1983 $6,500  (Read 2901 times)

moonmistcamper

• P323
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • City: rockville centre
  • State: Ny
NEW Volvo Penta MD11D 1983 $6,500
« on: March 21, 2021, 04:06:22 PM »
New, NOS Volvo Penta MD11D 1983 never installed. Damage by the right rear mount, would not effect saildrive installation. Will sell without the gear for $5,500. Located Long Island New York willing to deliver for a fair fee.

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
Re: NEW Volvo Penta MD11D 1983 $6,500
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 11:46:33 AM »
I think the poster meant: Damage to the ENGINE BLOCK CRANKCASE near the rear mount.
And that cast iron block can be repaired once the block was dissembled for welding by an expert in cast iron repair.

Any engine sitting 38 years would require a complete teardown and inspection to be put into service.

The Diesel injection pump would also need to be serviced by an expert Fuel Injection shop.

This engine could certainly be restored by a caring expert. One who picked it up for much less than $1000.

moonmistcamper

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 10:17:43 AM »
Hi, thanks for the better description of the damage. The part is Timing gear casing. While the engine may have suffered some from non use it would be minimal every component would spec out to be brand new. I'll be going down to Annapolis hopefully soon and I'll run this by Dick Vosbury. These engine are legendary in the class with the Universal Atomic 4.

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 10:57:21 AM »
A used timing case could be sourced and refinished to go with this as an alternative to the disassembly needed for welding. Cast Iron sometimes needs to be heated in an oven before it can be successfully welded.

That is a big job for a part that may be sourced from a scrap engine.

VOLVO engines of this period are very durable. If this one was dropped a very careful inspection would be necessary.

Do you know the source of the damage?

moonmistcamper

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 12:34:54 PM »
Yes I may even have that part. I purchased this engine from a Greek family whose father had intended to ship it to Greece. He purchased it from Sanborn Marine Waretown N.J. The motor was run at some point and my guess is the mounts where not aligned nor secure enough to allow the engine to run on the crate. Maybe a defect in the casting. The motor mounts have just one lag into base. The engine sat in a very dry garage in Queens N.Y. I am sure if I had this in England and many other parts of the world I would have a line to buy it. I was hoping a 323 owner would have such a romance with these engines that one would be interested.