Author Topic: Shroud/stay tension values  (Read 3227 times)

wcletien

• P33
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P33
  • Vessel Name: Sarkatory II
  • City: Beverly
  • State: MA
Shroud/stay tension values
« on: January 26, 2021, 03:15:06 PM »
I have to take my spar down in a few weeks to run cable down for a new wind machine.  I have not had it down before and need to know what tensions to reset the inner, outer, top and bottom shrouds and fore and aft stays after stepping it.  I have purchased a Loos tension tool and it indicates that there are specific tension values for my boat (1986 33-2).  Can anyone point me in the right direction.  Also I was wondering if anyone knows if my spar will have conduit inside through which I can guide the new wire.  I do have the old wire still in place and plan to use it as a fish to pull the new one through.  Any suggestions?  Thanks winter birds.  Snow on its way here in NE tonight!

Last Resort

• P31
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P31
  • Vessel Name: Last Resort
  • City: Spanish, Ontario, Canada
  • State: ON
Re: Shroud/stay tension values
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 03:52:04 PM »
curios why you need to bring the mast down if you already have a fish line available?  It would be alot easier I'd think to climb the mast to accomplish the line's replacement. Perhaps you have other obstacles or jobs to do within the mast?

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
Re: Shroud/stay tension values
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 11:25:15 AM »
Not specific to the 33-2,  but the general rule-of-thumb is that the shrouds & stays should end up at approximately 10% of the wire's working load.

On my P-323, I ended up with the 9/32" forestay, backstay, and upper shrouds all in the vicinity of 700 lbs, and the 1/4" lower shrouds around 500 lbs.
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4