Author Topic: What was this for?  (Read 6879 times)

grzano

• P323
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Summer Wind
  • City: Staten Island
  • State: NY
Re: What was this for?
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2021, 10:27:52 PM »
I am on my second 323, lost the first one to a battery fire, make sure that your battery terminals are clean and do not move.

On that boat, both the shower and refer drained directly into the bilge. I the heat of one summer, I could not figure out what the foul smell on the boat was. As Dolce_Vita pointed out, it was sludge in the bilge, that was alive with bacteria, each of those little cells farting, (off gassing), made the boat unlivable. A few rounds with a pressure washer (a low pressure one) at the dock, bilge cleaner, a fresh coat of bilge paint  and some 30 hours later, In installed a shower sump tank and plumbed the ice box drain into that. Magically, the issue was resolved. My new used 323 has the sink pump configuration and I plan on keeping it in place to drain the fridge. I did rebuild it over the winter and it works like a champ. I also replaced the shower sump, the old one was really old and seemed to be cracking and wasting away.

I think next I'll invest in an air head and just rip that old holding tank out. No matter what I did on my last 323, the thing always starts to smell when it gets hot, new plastic tank, new Y valves, anti siphon vents and all new hoses, $600.00, +/- a few hundred, and the thing still stank.

All the best.
I'd rather be sailing!

1978 323, Atomic 4