Author Topic: 2GM20F Rebuild/Buy New?  (Read 2845 times)

Abaco Joe

• P31
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P31
  • Vessel Name: Desire
  • City: Indialantic
  • State: Fl
2GM20F Rebuild/Buy New?
« on: January 14, 2021, 10:28:05 PM »
Good Evening All,
I have a 1988 P31-2, 3rd owner for the last 12 years with unknown engine hours. The 2GM20F (16HP) was getting hard to start and burning oil at higher RPM so I figured it was time for a rebuild. I don't have the time or energy to do this work any more so pulled it out and sent it to the local Yanmar shop (Yeah, I know, they have us by the short hairs). Initial tear down showed bent connecting rods and the mech said it looked like water had gotten into the cylinders. I took that as a bad sign. They came back with an rebuild estimate of $7600 for the engine and transmission! Labor was a big chunk of that. Alternative 1 was a new 2YM15 (13.6HP) with transmission, instrument panel, wire harness and mixing elbow = $6,523 (plus shipping and tax)  which will be pretty much a drop in replacement. Alternative 2  new 13YM20 (20HP) with transmission, instrument panel, wire harness and mixing elbow = $7,359 (plus shipping and tax). The shop will give me a break on the new engine, about $1K, for the old engine and hours spent so far. I would rather not go down in power but going to the 3YM means moving motor mounts and re-machining the new prop shaft that was just setup for the 2GM, I also have to put the prop shaft in before the engine so need to make a decision soon as I burning bucks on storage fees in the yard. Although it's more expensive, I'm considering just rebuilding the 2GM as I would get a stronger engine and nothing else changes in the setup. I've checked the Interweb for rebuilt and didn't find as much as I expected and am leery of buy a freshly painted "reman" engine from 1200 miles away, the price is right but...  Changing to a different engine maker would probably open another can of worms.
So, I'm sure other have gone through this and I like to hear what other have done.
Thoughts/comment?
Joe

Last Resort

• P31
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Last Resort
  • City: Spanish, Ontario, Canada
  • State: ON
Re: 2GM20F Rebuild/Buy New?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 11:00:54 PM »
not sure how their prices compare in the US, but I've already decided I'd go with a Beta 25hp when the time comes to replace mine. They've made their engines to fit right in for most boats. Haven't really researched for my own yet, but neighbour bought one for his at last year's Toronto Boat show, and with a few adapters, it's made to fit right into his Non-such to replace the original underpowered Volvo. Like you he got everything to connect right into his sail drive.  And with 25hp, his boat should really move now. Maybe check them out :)   https://www.betamarinenc.com/ and in Canada for those looking:   http://www.betamarinecanada.com/

as for getting the original rebuilt, it wouldn't be my choice at all.

good luck!!!

Abaco Joe

• P31
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Desire
  • City: Indialantic
  • State: Fl
Re: 2GM20F Rebuild/Buy New?
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2021, 07:03:10 AM »
Rebuild Update

I decided to go with the 3YM20, then waited 2 months to get the engine due to shipping and customs delays. Had some challenges installing it, mostly with the motor mounts but finally got everything installed and running. It was a lot of work and $$$ but was worth it in the long run.
I also checked out a Beta but the cost was significantly higher ($11.5K) than the Yanmar ($7.3K).