Author Topic: Wilcox and Crittenden Head kit  (Read 3171 times)

dmellon

• P323
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Strait Away
  • City: Boyne City
  • State: Mi
Wilcox and Crittenden Head kit
« on: December 31, 2020, 09:20:26 PM »
I need a repair kit, any ideas on the best place to get one? Should I consider a new head, it’s very small.
It’s original on P323 #225. Also need Ritchie compass dome p5 I think.
 Dick, Strait Away

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
Re: Wilcox and Crittenden Head kit
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 02:36:37 PM »
If you have the Wilcox & Crittenden Headmate Jr, it's not worth repairing.  They have been discontinued for some time now, and rebuild kits are becomming scarce and costly.  In addition, the pump body is probably worn, so rebuild kits give a less than satisfactory result, and replacement pumps are even scarcer and more costly. 

Your best bet is to replace it with a Raritan PHII compact.  The PHIIC pump has twice the volume per stroke than the WC Headmate, is stronger built, and parts are available everywhere.

I went through this same dilemma a few years back. The Raritan is pricy, but  better to cry once and get it over with. Having to deal with a malfunctioning head during an extended cruise while living on the boat is no fun! (Don't ask me how I know this...)  Its amazing that my wife still wants to cruise after having to use a bucket for a week!

The PHIIC will just fit in the P323's head area, and with the telescoping pump handle retracted, the bifold door can fold past it.  This does require mounting it slightly to the left of where the Headmate was, but it has worked out perfectly for us.
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
Re: Wilcox and Crittenden Head kit
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 02:47:51 AM »
Regarding your question on the compass, have a look at this thread: https://www.pearson323.com/forum/index.php/topic,981.0.html