Author Topic: P303 Gear Shifter Remote Cable  (Read 1486 times)

Tmdlsd

• P303
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P303
  • Vessel Name: The LaLa
  • City: Setauket
  • State: NY
P303 Gear Shifter Remote Cable
« on: June 24, 2022, 01:44:48 PM »
Hi All,  I have a '83 P303 and noticed that the remote gear shifter cable at the transmission was broke  (Lucky it did not happen underway)  Picture attached   Looking for any advice on how to change the cable.  From the few videos I saw on youtube, replacing the cable at the pedestal is a pain in the butt.   Looks like the steering chain may need to be removed and lining up the connector for both throttle and gear shifters on the pedestal is next to impossible.  Instead of replacing entre cable I was hoping I might be able to re-use the current cable as there is a little thread left on the end and just drill new holes on bracket to bring cable closer to the transmission lever.    Appreciate any comments/ advice.  Thanks

chuck stas

• P303
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P303
  • Vessel Name: not named yet
  • City: trappe
  • State: Pa
Re: P303 Gear Shifter Remote Cable
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2022, 09:44:46 AM »
I think its better to be safe and replace the cable. You would be good for a few years

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
Re: P303 Gear Shifter Remote Cable
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2022, 04:04:58 PM »
Before you replace the cable clean up the transmission lever and make sure it operates smoothly without the cable- Insure its OK to shift the lever with engine stopped before you proceed. The cable is robust for its job. They break when the shift lever at transmission is binding.  It would be possible to add threads to the existing cable. You only need five or six threads and it looks like you have 3-4. You'll want to insure the the angles are the same if you recycle the cable and alter its mount geometry.  You need some 'swing' in the cable to prevent it from shearing off again.

YES it is 'character building' to replace the cable through the pedestal with all the steering mechanism and any wires (to compass light) in place. If you need to get in there, make it worthwhile and adjust and lube all the steering components. Its a good time to check the throttle and its cable too. It will make the ordeal more bearable knowing you addressed a few maintenance items within the pedestal in one shot-

The BIG THING you DO NOT want to do is loosen the cable bracket screw on the pedestal so far it comes loose and parts fall down the pedestal- That is a big mess since the parts resist a magnet. Its not a great idea probing around with a magnet near where a compass mounts anyway.

Find a comfortable day and take your time. If you get stuck stop. It is tedious but not difficult.