Author Topic: railings 31-2  (Read 2589 times)

seabis25

• P31
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P31
  • Vessel Name: legacy
  • City: mount sinai
  • State: ny
railings 31-2
« on: September 27, 2020, 07:20:53 AM »
Hello, i recently bought my 1991 31-2 and it was damaged in the last storm. I am looking for railings on the starboard side. Any advice would be appreciated
Sal
Thanks

Last Resort

• P31
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Last Resort
  • City: Spanish, Ontario, Canada
  • State: ON
Re: railings 31-2
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 03:26:40 PM »
sorry, but do you mean stanchions when you say railings?  Or new railings for the cockpit?  Either way you need to find a good Stainless Steel guy/place and have them repaired or built new and replaced. I had my main 4 stanchions all rebuilt at the bottom with new support and bigger deck plates as they were all bent in a good bit from pushing and storage through the years.

seabis25

• P31
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: legacy
  • City: mount sinai
  • State: ny
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 04:14:54 PM »
Yes, the port side stanchions and the rear railings. I guess i need to find a fabricator. Thanks for your help. Also, any thoughts on replacing the rub rail?

Last Resort

• P31
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Last Resort
  • City: Spanish, Ontario, Canada
  • State: ON
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 12:06:52 AM »
removing the stanchions isn't that bad EXCEPT for the bow ones...they're buried in the V-berth. I'm planning on either matching up the nuts and drilling if I can, or cutting out a square piece to access the 4 nuts, then cover the hole with some nice teak or such to hide them. There is a special tool I understand that Pearson used to hold the 4 nuts in place through the gap that does exist, but no luck finding one.  The Railings should be somewhat easy to remove, although I haven't had to do those yet. As for the rub rails, I'd love to replace mine too, but that's a job I just ignore right now. Again, My guy could make me up what I needed if I ever did replace them.  Just look for a local marine Stainless Steel guy.   We have 2 in Southern Ontario, one in Barrie and my guy near Niagara Falls.  I'm sure there are others around too, but these 2 deal in Marine SS repairs and new installs. Good Luck!!!