Author Topic: New 1976 P26 Owner  (Read 1942 times)

J-LOker

• P26
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P26
  • Vessel Name: Crab Louie
  • City: Portsmouth
  • State: RI
New 1976 P26 Owner
« on: September 24, 2020, 05:24:21 PM »
Hello everyone,
I'm just getting into sailing, and loving it so far, and boy what a sturdy, sea worthy, and forgiving boat!  At my mooring, the standing rigging on the nearby Hunter 33 looks to be about the same I have on 'Little Louie'.  I was a Coast Guard 41' search and rescue coxswain for 3 years in Boston.  Safety has always been a priority for me, so you'd think I'd bother to check that the fresh water tank was present before filling the tank.  Someone was waiting to get into the touch and go slip, so lo and behold, I look into the cabin and the deck is under water!....Turned off water, and wouldn't you know the tank is not even in the forepeak.  After 2 hours of hand pumping, and wiping, the bilge is nice and clean now.
Do owners typically remove their water tanks for winter?  I can't think of any reason why they would think it needs winter removal.  Anyway, I'm now searching for a tank, but that can wait till next season.  This forum is a great resource and will surely save me some money.  I'm already contemplating my next boat, and a Pearson 35C is tops on the list (although I do like the Bristol and Cape Dory boats too). 
I live in Portsmouth, RI, and wouldn't you know that the old Pearson Grumman manufacturing site on West Shore Road is clearly visible from Google Earth.  The buildings are long gone, but the outlines for them are still visible. 
I'm missing a Genoa, and looking for advice on choosing a 130 or 150 to go along with the storm jib.  Thanks, and hope to see some of you out sailing. 
Johnny O