Author Topic: 31-2 Fresh Water vents  (Read 2968 times)

ChicagoGeo

• P31
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P31
  • Vessel Name: Just Add Water
  • City: Galesville
  • State: MD
31-2 Fresh Water vents
« on: July 27, 2020, 11:33:39 PM »
I am half-way through my second season with "Just Add Water", hull number 163.

I have the manual, but the tank vent positions noted are for hull #193 and beyond. I have yet to locate the exterior vents, if they exist. A noted location in the text was "on the bulkhead aft of the settee" but I have not found such, yet.

I did notice when reassembling the tankage after a complete cleaning that the starboard tank was not venting, as it inhaled audibly when I opened the deck fill to top it off. 

Thanks in advance!
George H

"Just Add Water" Galesville, MD
1988 31-2 #163
Yanmar 2GM20

Last Resort

• P31
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Last Resort
  • City: Spanish, Ontario, Canada
  • State: ON
Re: 31-2 Fresh Water vents
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 12:08:52 AM »
someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the earlier hulls did not have vents. My #252 does, but you still can't trust them to fill your tanks. I tried like I had on previous boats I owned, waiting till the water came out the vent, but when I went down into the cabin, if was also full of water. This has happened more than a few times when overfilling the tanks by mistake. I always fill them from the deck, but have to keep an eye on them through the tank access, then run out to shut the water off. I've tried sealing the access ports, tightening them, etc., but nothing stops them from leaking into the cabin. I've removed all the covers to check for cracks, but the tanks are sound. So vent or not vent, with a 31-2, you seem to have to be careful filling the water tanks!!

ChicagoGeo

• P31
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Just Add Water
  • City: Galesville
  • State: MD
Re: 31-2 Fresh Water vents
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 10:42:49 PM »
Latest madness:

Preparing to winterize, in the mid-Chesapeake (Galesville, MD)...Discovered that both tanks were completely dry, although had been thoroughly cleaned and reinstalled and filled with moderately-bleached water. This condition happened in a matter of four months. Next spring, look for the leaks? With the dry tanks, the bilge level did seem lower than usual. Methinks my plumbing job was questionable...
George H

"Just Add Water" Galesville, MD
1988 31-2 #163
Yanmar 2GM20