Pearson Boats - Common Systems > Plumbing and Galley Systems

More fresh water tank questions

(1/4) > >>

SailRxSin:
So I have determined that the only way I will get the layer of grime out of the freshwater tanks is to remove some of the glass from the setee and make some larger access ports that I could use to really clean the tanks well.  My problem is what do I do once I get a couple of 6 inch or so diameter ports on the tanks.  From what I've read, nothing adheres to polyethylene very well at all, save for some Marine Tex Flex Set.  Maybe keep the pieces I cut out and then place a splint on top of them to hold them in place while I reseal with Flex Set?   

Any and all ideas apprecitated. 

Has anyone here completely replaced the original freshwater tank system, lines, and all?

Dolce_Vita:

--- Quote from: SailRxSin on July 25, 2020, 03:06:44 AM ---So I have determined that the only way I will get the layer of grime out of the freshwater tanks is to remove some of the glass from the setee and make some larger access ports that I could use to really clean the tanks well.  My problem is what do I do once I get a couple of 6 inch or so diameter ports on the tanks.  From what I've read, nothing adheres to polyethylene very well at all, save for some Marine Tex Flex Set.  Maybe keep the pieces I cut out and then place a splint on top of them to hold them in place while I reseal with Flex Set?   

Any and all ideas apprecitated.  ...

--- End quote ---

I've had a similar question for a long time.  From what research I've been able to do, the preferred solution is some sort of flange that relies on clamping a gasket in compression, rather than on an adhesive. 

SailRxSin:

--- Quote from: Dolce_Vita on July 25, 2020, 03:01:06 PM ---I've had a similar question for a long time.  From what research I've been able to do, the preferred solution is some sort of flange that relies on clamping a gasket in compression, rather than on an adhesive. 

--- End quote ---

Ed, thanks for the input, you definitely a great source of knowledge on this site.  What about something like this:  https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=47548

Valor:
Those inspection hatches need some kind of sealant between the hatch and the deck. The lid seals with an o-ring which is what you want. If you can find something similar but has some type of gasket between the the 2 mounting surfaced you should be ok. This is what you are looking for.

https://www.vetus-shop.com/universal-inspection-port-for-fuel-and-water-p-3452.html

Dolce_Vita:

--- Quote from: Valor on August 03, 2020, 08:19:43 AM ---Those inspection hatches need some kind of sealant between the hatch and the deck. The lid seals with an o-ring which is what you want. If you can find something similar but has some type of gasket between the the 2 mounting surfaced you should be ok. This is what you are looking for.

https://www.vetus-shop.com/universal-inspection-port-for-fuel-and-water-p-3452.html

--- End quote ---

Can't view it.  This link seems to require a login.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version