Author Topic: Replacing Pegboard in Cockpit Lockers  (Read 6429 times)

WerkWerk

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Pixel
  • City: Mississauga
  • State: ON
Replacing Pegboard in Cockpit Lockers
« on: January 25, 2019, 06:32:55 PM »
Hello everyone! As a landlocked sailor for the winter I'm starting to plan my Spring projects. One of them is replacing the pegboard in my cockpit lockers.

When I purchased my 323 the pegboard was missing from the cockpit lockers that prevents things from rolling into the engine / steering space under the cockpit. Has anyone replaced these before? What did you use? I would love it if someone could give me rough dimensions of their boards as a starting point for this project.

Thanks for such a great resource in these forums and appreciate any assistance!

S/V Pixel
Hull #336
S/V Pixel
Hull #336

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
Re: Replacing Pegboard in Cockpit Lockers
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 09:12:39 PM »
The shapes are so irregular I'd use cardboard to make templates.

Remember they are two piece so they can be installed through the openings.

I didn't use pegboard for the new ones- I never used pegboard hardware so I uses plain pressed-board, one side white vinyl from Big Box store.

I have shelves I made and that is what the plywood piece is for. The shelfs are made from 5mm birch plywood and they rest on the plywood and cleats epoxied to the hull.

WerkWerk

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Pixel
  • City: Mississauga
  • State: ON
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 01:41:15 PM »
Looks great! Thanks for the inspiration Alma.

Couple follow-ups: If my perspective is right this would be the starboard cockpit locker, correct? How is the pressed board (is it MDF?) holding up? For securing rest for shelves through the pressed-board is there plywood on the back to screw into?
S/V Pixel
Hull #336

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 06:52:13 PM »
That is the starboard side. The plywood shelf's rack is held with two 8/32 screws with fender washers against the pressboard back. The panel is slightly thinner than the pegboard and a similar composition.

It has held up very well on its first season. I want to trim up from the bottom another inch or so so it never blots up water. The stringers it simply rests against to are at least 9" tall so there is plenty of leeway.

The shelves hold bins that only have some cleaning stuff and cushions on starboard side, docklings on the other- lightweight stuff.

I think better than worrying about waterproofing them in the basically dry lockers, I'll simply replace them from time to time. The material is $8.00? That way a scrape or stain isn't ever a worry.

You will love the quietness!!!!!!

return

• P323
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: return
  • City: fairhope
  • State: AL
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2023, 09:05:58 AM »
I know yours was an older post, but am intrigued by your locker arrangement as I don’t like bending so far over to reach anything in them as it all goes to the bottom.  I was also intrigued at the comment about quietness as that benefit of better panels never occurred to me.  I have only loose fitting vertical boards in my lockers, and they have significant gaps and no fasteners so don’t get much or any sound deadening from them.

But having just spent several hours crouching in each of the two lockers for several Yanmar engine repairs makes me wonder about the difficulty of engine access after installing these panels.   I presume they could be readily removed for routine maintenance, but was just curious about your experience in that regard. 

Thanks!
Mike
Mike