Author Topic: Volvo Engine  (Read 4042 times)

hedwardpruitt20

• P323
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • City: Southport
  • State: Ga
Volvo Engine
« on: September 06, 2018, 09:03:25 PM »
I just bought a Pearson 323. The Volvo MD11 engine is locked up. I cannot find a mechanic to work on it. I live in the Wilmington/Southport NC area. Any suggestions on alternate engines that might work?
Thanks,
HEP

admin

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Captain Bri
    • View Profile
    • Red Sky Sails
  • Model: Ensign
  • State: CT
Re: Volvo Engine
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 08:02:23 AM »
My boat was repowered with a Volvo D1-30 by a previous owner, with slight modifications to fit - but they don't make that model anymore.  And it seems like Volvo parts are quite expensive but I don't have anything to compare to. I hear good things about the Beta but it appears that Yanmar is by far the most popular from data provided by owners.

Here are approximate numbers of diesel repowers in the P323 owners registry:
17 - Yanmar (most 30hp)
6 - Universal
5 - Beta (25 & 28)
5 - Westerbeke
2 - Kubota

Captain Bri

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
Re: Volvo Engine
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 08:59:24 AM »
I would recommend the Beta.  It is basically a marinized Kubota. Millions of Kubotas were put into tractors all over the world, so parts are widely available and reasonably priced.

I Based on the displacement of the P323, I think the 25 should be fine.  Rule of thumb is 1 HP per every 500 lbs, so at 12,800 lbs, this works out to about 25 1/2 HP.

You would be unhappy with the performance of the 20, and the 28 (is it still available, or has it been replaced by the 30?)  would give you some extra margin for foul weather and current.

https://www.betamarinenc.com/all-engines/
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4