Author Topic: Replacement of dual action (Whale Gusher) galley pump  (Read 5294 times)

rnebergall

• P323
  • P323 Owner
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Zufrieden
  • City: Grand Marais
  • State: MN
Replacement of dual action (Whale Gusher) galley pump
« on: July 14, 2018, 01:54:27 PM »
Hello all.  Wanting to replace the non-working, original (on Zufrieden in 1992 when I bought her) dual action foot pump.  In my case, this pump serves as backup to the pressure system, in the galley.  The picture below shows the installation, near the hull, just forward of the ice-box.  The pump is attached, by it's base, to the horizontal piece of plywood shown in the picture.  I have managed to get the two out-board screws out, but cannot see how I can get to the two screws near the vertical piece of plywood, without removing the entire plywood structure, on which the pump is mounted.  In order to remove the plywood mounting pieces, I would have to cut the fiberglass strip that provides a tie-in to the hull.  If that's what I need to do..fine, but I'm wondering if others have encountered this and if so, how did you get the pump out?  Thanks.

Roger Nebergall (Zufrieden)

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
Re: Replacement of dual action (Whale Gusher) galley pump
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 02:10:02 PM »
Get a hand mirror and look at the other side. I removed mine years ago and rebuilt it. It still works well. The difficult thing about that pump is the third valve that allows the foot pump to access the water from either tank. If that valve is left open while using the pressure system malfunctions occur.

rnebergall

• P323
  • P323 Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 02:32:30 PM »
Thanks.  I can tell that there is nothing holding the aft end of the horizontal platform. It is loose.  It's the strip of fiberglass, on the forward end, that looks to have been used to stabilize the platform, that is the problem.  There is just not enough room to get a screw driver in between the pump and the vertical plywood.  I have just about decided to go ahead and cut the fiberglass and stabilize the platform using stainless angle iron.  Was yours mounted to a platform that had been "glassed" to the hull?

Thanks for the reminder on the valve that controls water access by this pump.  It's been a while since this worked, so I might have made the mistake of pressurizing the system with that valve open.

Roger

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 05:25:35 PM »
 The bracket that supports my pump is secured by 4 screws that go through the fiberglass around the foot lever. Once they are loosened the whole assembly can be removed.

rnebergall

• P323
  • P323 Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 06:47:33 PM »
Thanks again.  Yeah, that's the way mine is now.  In addition to the offending fiberglass, I had the four screws shown in your illustration, which seem entirely sufficient to support the unit.  Once I cut the fiberglass strip, I was able to remove the whole assembly.  I did not need to add any reinforcement.  The horizontal and vertical plywood elements are connected by a piece of hardwood, screwed together.  I think it is just fine now.  I have no idea why the fiberglass strip was added; I'd wager by the original owner of the boat.  Anyway, all done now and it works fine.