Author Topic: Before you buy a gauge, check if your chart plotter can display the info  (Read 4162 times)

Valor

• P323
  • Pirate Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: VALOR
  • City: GLEN COVE
  • State: NY
My direct read fuel gauge was shot and needed replacement. Instead of drilling a hole to mount a gauge (which I couldn't stomach to do ), I purchased an electronic fuel sender and connected an analog to NMEA 2000 converter from my new electronic fuel sender to the NMEA 2000 backbone. That it.  You do not need to run a separate circuit to the fuse panel then snake wires back to the gauge. Just 1 cable from the sender to the backbone.

From my mechanical systems page on my B&G Zeus2 chart plotter, I can now see my fuel level. Not only that, but I now have a high/ low fuel alarm which I can set at whatever % I want it to go off at. Another cool thing is It will tell me the amount of fuel used over the course of the trip.

Using similar components, I also installed water safe sending units on my 2 fresh water tanks and an ultasound sender (no moving parts)on my waste tank as well and connected them to the backbone. So from my chart plotter I know how much water and waste is in my tanks also.High and low alarms can be set on these as well. When I refill my fresh water tanks, the high alarm goes off before I spit water out of the vent tube and fill up the bilge.

I'm currently in the process of putting the engine temp, RPM, oil pressure and oil temp on the backbone so I can get a direct read from the helm. This part is a little more involved but it has been a very simple project so far. Before you drill holes all over the place, check to see if your chart plotter can fill the gap. Having all of the information readily available has simplified the daily use of the boat. No more guessing.

Michael
Michael M

1978 Pearson 323 Hull #108.
Yanmar 3GM30F

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
Hey Michael, what gauges did you use? My old through-the-cockpit sender still works well, but something for the water and waste would be useful...I have seen sensors that fit on the exterior of the tank, and wonder how well they work?

Valor

• P323
  • Pirate Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: VALOR
  • City: GLEN COVE
  • State: NY
I didn't buy gauges. I purchase fluid level senders and connected them to my NMEA 2000 backbone using a device Navico makes that converts the analog signal into a NMEA 200 signal. The actual gauge is my chart plotter, so you don't need to drill holes in the boat for additional gauges. So from the helm you can see the level of all of your tanks.
Michael M

1978 Pearson 323 Hull #108.
Yanmar 3GM30F