Author Topic: P26 External Halyard setup  (Read 4560 times)

Skippper27

• P26
    • View Profile
    • Fresh Coast - Great Lakes sailing
  • Model: P26
  • Vessel Name: Rhea
  • City: MILWAUKEE
  • State: WI
P26 External Halyard setup
« on: June 04, 2018, 01:15:51 PM »
Hey gang,

This is my first season owning a Pearson 26 - hull #1005. Now that other boats are out of the way and my big 'pre-launch' chores are almost done, I'm getting to the final steps of prepping the mast before I can get the boat in the water. What I'm a bit confused about is the masthead / halyard setup on the P26...

I'm going to go ahead and admit straight away that I've never owned a boat that had external halyards, they always were run inside the mast and exited near the boom-ish. As I'm coming to learn about the P26, the halyards are all external.  To be sure I'm not being a total idiot, can someone please verify how they're run?

There are 4 sheaves in the masthead - 1 pair at the front an 1 pair at the back. Is the main halyard meant to run on the starboard pair of sheaves (i.e. from the aft starboard sheave, through the masthead, and out of the forward starboard sheave) - thus existing at the front of the mast and running down?  Same for jib halyard, does it run from the front of the mast, over the forward port sheave, through the masthead, then out the aft port sheave and down the mast? 

I guess I want to be sure that I'll only have room (with an OEM masthead) to run 2 halyards, one for jib and one for main, across the 2 pairs of sheaves.

I tried to sketch out what I mean - thanks in advance for your help!

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
Re: P26 External Halyard setup
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 09:02:00 AM »
Yes, you have it correct.  Our P-323 has the exact same arrangement at the masthead, with the main halyard on the starboard pair of sheaves.
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

Skippper27

• P26
    • View Profile
    • Fresh Coast - Great Lakes sailing
  • Model: P26
  • Vessel Name: Rhea
  • City: MILWAUKEE
  • State: WI
Re: P26 External Halyard setup