Author Topic: Rudder removal  (Read 9358 times)

Eddy

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
Rudder removal
« on: December 09, 2017, 06:25:40 AM »
Has anyone removed their rudder? I have play in the pintle/gudgeon. Boat is on the hard for the winter. I've had the bottom stripped of paint and letting it dry until spring. Thanks

Chance

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: CHANCE
  • City: Milwaukee
  • State: WI
Re: Rudder removal
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 10:31:13 PM »
I took the rudder out of Chance pearson 323 1977 ,22 years ago. After she was hit by a lightning strike in 1995. There was excessive play in the rudder skeg shoe.  I want to epoxy the entire bottom of the boat plus rudder. I believe there is a bronze shoe fitting that the stainless rudder shaft or post fits in , needed some repairs.  Make sure you have enough room to drop the rudder and the length of the shaft, which goes just below the emergency tiller plate. I have seen people dig holes to get rudders out!  If you look at the rudder post you will see the shoe supporting it.  That is the of bottom of the shoe which is then fasten to skeg ,  I believe on the sides.   Again its been 22 years ago! Rudder is not light , you might have to lower it with a jack. Good luck Bob K

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 09:49:04 AM »
When you epoxy the bronze back together be sure to smear a little modeling clay in the screw slots so the next guy can get the screws out in 2026...

Eddy

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 02:09:37 PM »
How does the shoe come off? Are you able to just drop it down once unbolted? I was going to ask the yard to sling the boat when ready to remove .. is that not a good idea?

Trouttfish

• P323
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Kropka
  • City: Tampa
  • State: FL
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 06:08:31 PM »
Did you end up removing the rudder? How did you get the rudder off the skeg shoe? I recently backed into some shallows and now my steering is very stiff. Everything looked good when I dived the boat so I'd like to drop the rudder to inspect the bushings and see if the rudder post is bent.

Eddy

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 12:57:54 PM »
I decided to let the rudder play ride for now. Got a second opinion and they felt like the play was acceptable and didn't warrant removal at this time.

libertyflyer

• P32
    • View Profile
  • Model: P32
  • Vessel Name: Racundra
  • City: Port Washington
  • State: NY
Re: Rudder removal - Pearson 32
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 05:13:19 PM »
Pearson 32 owner here, and new to the forum.  I have excessive play in the bottom gudgeon as well.  Felt it in the wheel towards the end of the season, and now she's on the hard and I can move the rudder about a 1/4" at the rudder pin.

I will take some photos as I go and finish this thread where the original poster left off. 

Last Resort

• P31
    • View Profile
  • Model: P31
  • Vessel Name: Last Resort
  • City: Spanish, Ontario, Canada
  • State: ON
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2019, 10:17:23 PM »
depending on how high your rudder is from the ground, you'll most likely have to dig out a hole to have enough room to completely remove it....I did.  And while it's out, you should consider replacing the cutlass bearing (and shaft if necessary) as it's a lot easer while it's out then removing/lifting the motor to do the same jobs...again, I did.

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 10:49:01 AM »
Before you remove the rudder on a 323 be sure to check the sleeve axels on the Edson Steering for the source of a "clunk" under sail.

libertyflyer

• P32
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 11:36:59 AM »
depending on how high your rudder is from the ground, you'll most likely have to dig out a hole to have enough room to completely remove it....I did.  And while it's out, you should consider replacing the cutlass bearing (and shaft if necessary) as it's a lot easer while it's out then removing/lifting the motor to do the same jobs...again, I did.

I don’t plan to remove the rudder. Only the lower pivot plate on the skeg. Then have the material filled in by a welder and redrill the hole for the pivot pin. That’s my current plan.

libertyflyer

• P32
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2019, 11:40:14 AM »
Before you remove the rudder on a 323 be sure to check the sleeve axels on the Edson Steering for the source of a "clunk" under sail.

I own a 32, not a 323, and I’ve already verified the clunk is coming from the lower pivot plate.   However I did read the other thread on the Edson cable guide pulleys. Good to check anyway while I’m at it.