Author Topic: Doyle Stack Pack mainsail furling  (Read 6618 times)

Coppifan

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • City: West River, MD
Doyle Stack Pack mainsail furling
« on: August 31, 2011, 02:44:11 PM »
Has anyone installed this system? While we love a good sail on the Chesapeake, my wife and I don't look forward to folding, securing and covering our mainsail. Especially if it's very hot and humid. Maybe we're just getting too old and it's time to look for a small trawler.... But honestly, it's the job my first mate dislikes the most and the less she dislikes the more sailing we do.

Captain Bri

• Brian
  • Ensign
  • Sailmaker
    • View Profile
    • RedSkySails.com
  • Model: Ensign
  • City: Anytown
  • State: Ct
Re: Doyle Stack Pack mainsail furling
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 12:13:41 PM »
I have not installed the StackPack but have heard only good things about it.  I am in the market for a new Mains'l and would consider the StackPack Cradle Cover which does not require any modifications to the saill. Take a look at it here
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 03:54:53 PM by SeaFever »
Men and Ships; Rot in Port

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
Re: Doyle Stack Pack mainsail furling
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 11:41:29 AM »
Buddy of mine has something that looks like the Stack Pack on his P27.  It does indeed make stowing the main extremely easy - drop the main, zip it up.  A very quick and easy job, which to be honest I envy!

In the interests of full disclosure, two potential drawbacks.  First, as the StackPack stays on the mast, it is (arguably) less attractive to have these covers hanging down while you sail. Something to consider if you spend hours gazing lovingly at your boom while under sail.  Personally it never bothered me.

Second, the boats co-owner is convinced that it effects their racing competitiveness. The rest of us are not convinced and, although I love my P323, try as I may she's not that competitive anyway!

(Disclaimer: Not linked with Dolyle or any sail loft!!  :-))