• View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: AnaMeg
  • City: Superior
  • State: WI
New 1
« on: April 10, 2011, 09:50:13 PM »
Hello all,

Looks like I might be the first non-official person to post here so there's nothing to respond to, nothing to argue, nothing to toss in my two bits about. That gives me license to ramble a bit? Thanks to Brian for resuscitating the site. I hope you all chip in to make it go. I'm Geoff. I'm retired, hoping to cruise the Great Lakes a few years while we (spouse and I) still can crawl around a boat. Our P 323 is slipped at Barker's Island Marina in Superior, WI. If you look at her pic in the owner's list you'll see a modification that leaves her unrecognizable as a P 323; a change in port lights and no bandit stripe. That's the only substantive change and she is still, at the core, a 323. She was in my driveway for 5 years and was completely gutted and all systems revamped. The change in ports was to improve ventilation and seaworthiness. Electrical and plumbing are all new. New stove. New Steering system. Some cosmetic improvements have been made to ceiling and the area around the ports.  I claim no expertise but will be happy to share my "education."  I have pics of the gutted interior if anyone needs to know what's under the surface. Also pics of the finished product except it isn't really finished yet.

Geoff

waterwks4me

• P323
  • "Sterling" hull #51
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Sterling
  • City: Eastern NC
  • State: NC
Re: New 1
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 12:23:32 PM »
Geoff, I looked for the owners list and could not find it or your pic of Anameg.  I have been thinking of removing the bandit stripe as well.  Would love to see a pic of her without one to see how it looks.  My father lived in Herbster, WI and have always enjoyed Lake Superior while I was up there.  Always thought it would be a nice place to cruise.

Captain Bri

• Brian
  • Ensign
  • Sailmaker
    • View Profile
    • RedSkySails.com
  • Model: Ensign
  • City: Anytown
  • State: Ct
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 11:00:59 AM »
The owners list on the new website is on the main menu: Owners Registry http://www.pearson323.com/p323owners.html.  I am not sure why you could not find it.  Once you open one of the PDF files you can search on the text such as a boatname. I found Anameg's name which is a link to photo at http://pearson323.com/images/AnaMeg.jpg  This low resolution photo was ported over so if you have a better resolution I can replace it on the new site.

By the way we have a blue cove stripe which is kind of sloppily painted so we were thinking of repainting it gray. Have not done any research on what paint to use yet. 
Men and Ships; Rot in Port

AnaMeg

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 09:39:52 PM »
Sorry I'm late in reply. How do I ask the forum to notify me of messages in a thread I'm following? I don't know why the photo is low res. Are there instructions here on uploading photos? As you have deduced by now, I am not a forum geek. I'll need some nudging in the right direction.

Waterworks, I first heard of Herbster last summer when we drove to Bayfield from Superior. Beautiful area. There were many for sale signs along the shore side of the road, a sign of the times, I suppose. It was tempting to stop and check out a few.

When you look at the AnaMeg the altered things from the 323 are the paint and the ports. (There's more inside but that's not done yet.) We may put a cove stripe on but we have decided we like it better without the bandit stripe. We especially did not like the grey. It reminded us of a battleship. OTOH, I've talked to owners who really like the gray and it avoids the sometimes gaudy appearance seen with too much paint. However, IMHO, a boat's beauty is in its form, not the colors. That refers to the observation of a boat. When you own one and have gone through a major refit there is much much more to its beauty. Sort of like your kids

Geoff

Captain Bri

• Brian
  • Ensign
  • Sailmaker
    • View Profile
    • RedSkySails.com
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 10:53:51 AM »
Geoff - If you go to "Profile" and select "Notifications and Email" you will find your email options.

waterwks4me

• P323
  • "Sterling" hull #51
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Sterling
  • City: Eastern NC
  • State: NC
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 10:49:37 AM »
Geoff, I like the look nat having the grey.  Your boat takes on a totally different look without the grey and the new ports.  Looks good.  Would like to see your other changes or improvements that you have made.

AnaMeg

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 10:08:15 PM »
Thanks. I found the owner's registry and, I think, I got it changed to let me know when i have a reply.

The other visible changes in AnaMeg are interior. If I learn how to upload pictures I can show you some. Perhaps the most dramatic, and useless, is a new ceiling. I put furring strips athwartships (is that the right word? My dictionary says it isn't.) and batten like strips the length of the ceiling. They are 1 1/2" wide and 5/16" thick. They are bevelled so they look like a tongue and grove siding or like a wainscoting without the bead. They're painted a light beige. I put cherry panels on the cabintop sides around the portlights. I installed an electrical panel at the nav station, also cherry. It has a 24 breaker panel and the VHF radio in it with room for a couple more instruments. I had intended to put the entertainment radio below the VHF, but have changed that plan to fit into the niche between the chainplates. Like the other stuff I've added, it will be in a cherry panel. (I glued up the panel this afternoon.) I got this idea from a pic in "Libations Too" web site. Quite a few other things in planning but it's anybodies guess when/if they get done.

Geoff

Captain Bri

• Brian
  • Ensign
  • Sailmaker
    • View Profile
    • RedSkySails.com
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 09:46:08 AM »
Feel free to send any photos to webmaster@pearson323.com and I'll post them on the project page. 

--Brian

AnaMeg

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 10:41:41 AM »
Brian, should I send them without reducing the size? I think my camera usually produces pics about 1M or a little less.

Geoff

Captain Bri

• Brian
  • Ensign
  • Sailmaker
    • View Profile
    • RedSkySails.com
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 11:21:51 AM »
Yes - and if it requires one per email that is OK.  I like store the photos at their full resolution, then reduce the size to about 25% for web page display (quicker page loading), then allow the user to click on the photo for a full resolution display.  It is great for seeing those detailed pieces of hardware or woodwork.

--Brian