Author Topic: ALMA's new HDPE shower panel  (Read 6862 times)

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
ALMA's new HDPE shower panel
« on: April 04, 2017, 04:05:05 PM »
We shower often on ALMA since we are berthed in a busy marina and the bath house although wonderful is over a thousand yards away. I often saw water collecting in the shower head's storage cubby from the dripping hose. It wasn't possible to shake all the water out of the hose and when stowed the water found its way to the bottom of the plywood panel and the bottom edge started to rot after 40 years...

I have made many Starboard pieces- the most popular being the Coming Box trim a few 323 members have used my drawings for. This project is not Starboard. I tried to get a nice piece but only a cut and shipped piece was available to me and its cost was plain stupid.

I have a nice plastics shops near me in Philly and they have a great scraps bin with their own generic Starboard (cutting board) material. I didn't see a suitable scrap in months. Something about 17" when I needed 18...

I found this HDPE in another shop for 35 bucks!

It is a glossy finish unlike Starboards texture and if I find I don't like the glossy I'll scrub it with polishing compound.

It sure will dress up my head! I mounted the fiberglas cubby with stainless washers between the panel and the cubby so water drains after each use. It does not drain into the head but the bilge. I don't think a few drops will hurt anything.

I enlarged the opening so the right side cold water tap is more accessible. I also made the opening bigger hoping we can stow some toiletries in the cubby too.

Enjoy- 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 04:07:45 PM by Alma »

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
Re: ALMA's new HDPE shower panel
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 05:54:43 PM »
It's IN! I look forward to adding some water to the tanks and testing it.

Rusty Pelican

• P323
  • http://rustypelican.blogspot.com/
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Rusty Pelican
  • City: Hingham
  • State: MA
Re: ALMA's new HDPE shower panel
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 09:15:03 AM »
looks good!

selene