Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 8141 times)

Valor

• P323
  • Pirate Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: VALOR
  • City: GLEN COVE
  • State: NY
Introduction
« on: March 30, 2017, 09:09:12 AM »
Greetings,

Just wanted to send out a quick introduction before I start to post. My name is Michael, and I just purchased "Sabbatical" hull #108. Great condition, almost perfect survey with a brand new 3gm30F Yanmar with less then 100 hrs. Mast step repair has been fixed as well which was a bonus. Previous owners (3) maintained meticulous records and I have literally every single manual and receipt of everything that was ever done or purchased. ( 3 giant binders full )

I have been a lurker on the site for well over a year, compiling data on the 323 model so when the time came, I would be a more informed buyer. Someone said, when you are looking at a boat you will know when you find the type or model when you see it. Well, I can say the statement is apparently true. After physically looking at about 20+ boats of different brands, many much much newer, the classic look of the 323 kept pulling me back. It seems everything about it just works for me and when I think of what a sailboat should look like, to me it's a 323.

My first sail with her will be a 160 nm sail from Rhode Island to the western end of Long island. We plan to break it up over a few days since we don't know the boat yet, only traveling during the daylight hours. We leave on the 8th of April and plan on arriving the 10th. Weather window looks great, and the crew is experienced.

The plan is to haul the boat upon arrival, drop the mast, update coms, lighting and instrumentation on the top of the mast, replace all of the running rigging and go over the standing rigging. I'm sure to have questions along the way so please bear with me. The boat will be renamed to "Valor" so if you see me out there please say hi!

Cheers,
Michael
Michael M

1978 Pearson 323 Hull #108.
Yanmar 3GM30F

Bill1188

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Breaking Wind
  • City: Whitehall
  • State: MI
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 06:14:58 PM »
Welcome to the club. I bought a Catalina 34 back in '13, sailed it for a summer, and sold it as it didn't stir the soul like the 323 I had smartly hung on to. Wealth of info in this site. Left tri-state area to move to west Michigan. No salt. Tricky ailing.

Valor

• P323
  • Pirate Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 08:34:42 PM »
Thanks Bill.
Michael M

Yanmar 3GM30F

rnebergall

• P323
  • P323 Owner
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Zufrieden
  • City: Grand Marais
  • State: MN
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 10:05:22 PM »
Congratulations, and welcome to the group.  As Bill said, there is a wealth of experience and expertise here.  Lake Superior is my playground.  A short season, but a beautiful place to cruise.  I'm jealous you get to get such an early start on the season.  Good luck with your trip.

Later.

Roger

Valor

• P323
  • Pirate Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 05:37:47 PM »
Thanks Roger,

It's kind of a forced start of the season because I need to relocate the boat, but I will take it! Mid 50's all week so It should be a fairly pleasant trip.
Michael M

Yanmar 3GM30F

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 04:17:01 PM »
Great minds think alike.

A note on rigging- ALMA's rigging takes a beating. We sail most weekends 6 months offshore.

Except for the forestay which was included in a new furling system, ALMA's rigging is ORIGINAL!

Inspect your new boat's rigging but don't fall for the replace because of age alone rap. It has put many riggers spawn through college!

The material used in the 1970's and 80's Pearsons was made to LAST.

I have a perfect original forestay (40 years old) in the loft of my garage if you're stuck...

Dress warm. Check your VHF and stay on board. Your boat will be as cold as the water...

Welcome aboard.

PS We thought of a bigger boat a few years ago. We shopped and shopped.

Nothing came close.

The Great Godsea

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: The Great Godsey
  • City: New Rochelle
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 08:01:48 AM »
Hello Michael.
I add my Greetings and welcome to the site.
I picked up Hull 265 and renamed her "Great Godsea" in 2013, my first boat ever, and I  haven't had a moment of regret.
Ironically, I am moving her to the  western long islandish area this year as well... from Liberty Harbor in Jersey City to Castaways Yacht Club in New Rochelle.

I'm hoping the move will make it easier/quicker for trips out to newport, block and the vineyard this summer.
Anyway, lean on the folks in this forum. they REALLY know their stuff. All great people.
Best Regards,
Mark Godsey

Derrick

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: M. Garvey
  • City: Noank
  • State: CT
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 06:15:53 PM »
Welcome Michael, enjoy. 323 are super salty. I was out at mine yesterday stripping of the cover and getting ready for some pre launch projects. Can't hardly contain myself ;D ;D

Valor

• P323
  • Pirate Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 08:28:41 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Just a little update on the trip.

We were obsessive about the weather forecast for the week up to and the morning of the trip. Predictwind and NOAA foretasted 10-17 knot winds all day. The weather was what was reported for the start of the leg but was way off for the rest of the trip.

Day 1 63 nm. - Sat the 8th we left at 0630 and motor out for the first five miles. temps were in the high 30's with 15 knots at 75 degrees to starboard and we had about 1 knot of push from the current. We put the 130 genny up and were cruising at 6.8 knots for about 90 minutes or so as per the GPS.  At about 9am, as we were approaching Point Judith, RI we were slammed with 30 knot winds off the beam then nose and 4 to 6 foot chop, garbage confused water for the remainder of the day. In came the sail and we motored the remaining 45 miles to Niantic CT against a 2 knot current. Arrived at 3 Bells Marina around 7pm soaking wet.

Day 2 49nm- 8am start. Great morning to afternoon. Wind changed direction and doubled its speed to 20-25's. On the nose for the remainder of the day. We decided to take the long way around Fishers Island because it was close to low tide and I never navigated the marked "short cut" on the north side of the island. To many shoals and I didn't need the drama. Down came the sails and we motored the remainder of the day. Arrived in Port Jefferson around 530 but didn't dock until 6pm because we were behind a ferry that stopped to let the out going ferry leave the harbor before he proceeded in, and I was not going to jump in between 2 ferries.

Day 3 36nm- 7am start. Dead calm. The Sound was like glass. Motored in. Arrived at 1220pm.

Boat hauled at 1330 immediately after we arrived, Mast came off today. I took two weeks vacation time from work and start my 2 week marathon tomorrow, running all new wiring tomorrow, LED everything on the mast, new anemometer, wind vane and a new antenna, autopilot and B&G Zeus2 chart plotter. Rigging was inspected and passed today and all new running rigging is being ordered in the next 2 days. Boat should be back in the water before May 1st. I will be doing all of the work so I will try to take pics along the way and post them in the appropriate area's.

20 gallons of diesel used for the entire trip. Zero issues and nothing broke. Lessons learned: Weather forecasts are predictions and sometimes they can be very wrong.

Be well.

Michael M
Michael M

Yanmar 3GM30F

rnebergall

• P323
  • P323 Owner
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Zufrieden
  • City: Grand Marais
  • State: MN
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 09:29:22 AM »
Agreed on weather forecasting.  Glad you made it safely, without break-down.

Good luck with your ambitious agenda, good stuff all.

Roger

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 11:02:26 AM »
Great news! You will find your 323 a fantastic boat.