Author Topic: Any advice for cable pulling?  (Read 6495 times)

jwspeck

• P323
  • P323 New Owner (Apr 2014)
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Lucky Mud
  • City: San Francisco
  • State: CA
Any advice for cable pulling?
« on: May 01, 2016, 02:52:04 PM »
As part of the mast pull/step rebuild, I replaced the lights and added electronic instruments... new LED spreader lights, Steaming light, Anchor light, and a Maretron WSO100 wind meter.

Now I need to run some new wiring behind the starboard side salon... any advice for pulling the NMEA 2000 cable and additional power cables through that area?

Thanks,
John Speck
Lucky Mud
Hull #110

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
Re: Any advice for cable pulling?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 02:01:48 PM »
The small overhead panels above the shelves next to the Nav station and behind the setee are removable and allow access to this area.  Cables can be fed in from the starboard sail locker area, up high and outboard.
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 01:04:35 AM »
Okay, this may be a tangent...let's see if I can redeem myself in advance: 

My main wiring bundle is also on the starboard side, but access is by removing the backs of the settees. The bundle is inside that compartment suspended at the top. You have to take the nav desk out to complete the run, with the wires correctly secured (max 18" apart). Interestingly no wiring is behind the wooden panels Ed referred to; but our boats do differ in some specifics.

There is another run low down. A few wires in my boat follow the water pipes inboard of the starboard water tank at cabin sole level.

I am installing a new depth/speed transducer, and am not sure yet which route to pull the NMEA 2000 cable.

My other cable pulling challenge is this: I installed a Garmin wireless anemometer, but am considering moving to wired as I have had some trouble positioning the wireless receiver for optimal signal strength (latest test: in the head!), and not sure if I want to change the battery every 3 years.  But I am intimidated about pulling the wire down the mast.  How clear is that run? Any advice on running wires down the mast (while the mast is up - I don't want to pull it just for this!!)?

Slowly upgrading my electronics to the 21st century....so far very impressed with NMEA 2000 and Garmin kit.

Any random thoughts, observations or advice appreciated.

Bill1188

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Breaking Wind
  • City: Whitehall
  • State: MI
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 01:49:17 PM »
My cables for instruments run through bilge, suspended, and then go to the port cockpit through the engine department. Easy access everywhere.