Author Topic: Volvo Penta 2003. my engine may be shot. I'm not sure what to do. BUMMER  (Read 10561 times)

The Great Godsea

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: The Great Godsey
  • City: New Rochelle
  • State: NY
Noticed a little oil under the engine recently. mechanic thought it was the main seal. then he started working on it.
Cant get the shaft out of the transmission...
may have to take her out of the water and pull the engine somehow...
Thinks the bearings may be shot, causing crank shaft play->cause seals to fail due to excessive vibration.
found gear oil on the bolts that hold the gear in place... not a good sign.
or not...
may be just need for engine re-alignment.
going to try a hydraulic press to remove the hub from the shaft on Tuesday.

Fingers crossed.
I REALLY DONT WANT TO GIVE UP ON THE GREAT GODSEA

OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS.

Mark Godsey
"Great Godsea"

Rusty Pelican

• P323
  • http://rustypelican.blogspot.com/
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Rusty Pelican
  • City: Hingham
  • State: MA
sounds like a re-power

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
Sorry to hear.  I hope it works out well.

If you do have to repower, the Beta Marine (3 Cyl) is an excellent choice.  The 2 Cyl will work, but it is marginal, and has no reserve for storms, etc.
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

The Great Godsea

• P323
    • View Profile
Thank you both for your thoughts. Here's the tough/obvious next questions:
1. What is a reasonable amount of money to spend repowering  36 year old boat? 
2. I love her but I wonder if it's wise to go too far down this road... or consider alternatives. ..however buying another boat will certainly cost a lot more money.

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
1. What is a reasonable amount of money to spend repowering  36 year old boat? 

First, there isn't anything reasonable about sailing! ;)  One book defines it as
"Sailing: The art of going nowhere, slowly, at great expense."  We do this, not because
it makes any kind of economic sense, but because it is fulfilling and life enriching.

As for typical, I often hear a figure of around $17000 for a diesel repower. YMMV
($10000 hardware + $7000 labor)

Your cheapest approach would to go back in with an exact replacement, but unfortunately
the MD11C is pretty much at end-of-life, and parts are getting hard to find, let alone
a complete rebuild.

Your next best bet is an engine with the same mounting points, avoiding the tedious
and potentially costly need to modify the mounting bed.  The only one I know who
has this is Beta Marine.  They will make engine mounts to match your specification.
The 3-cyl Beta 25 is a good match for the 323.

When I did my engine replacement, I saved costs by doing most of the install work myself.
Its not hard, but you need good information and the proper tools.

2. I love her but I wonder if it's wise to go too far down this road... or consider alternatives. ..however buying another boat will certainly cost a lot more money.

Maybe not.  The used boat market is incredibly soft.  Seems that fiberglass hulls,
if reasonably cared for, last almost forever, so there is a huge glut of used boats on the market.
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

rnebergall

• P323
  • P323 Owner
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Zufrieden
  • City: Grand Marais
  • State: MN
Repowered Zufrieden last year with Yanmar 3YM20.  Very pleased so far.  Achieves 6 knots easily @2500 rpm.  Required new trans/reverse gear, of course, and redo of the mounting bed to correct for the angle.  I do not have the required skills, so the 'yard' did it all.  Transmission is the ZF Marine ZF15MIV.

Total cost, including new exhaust, (also required due to size) was a few dollars north of $18,400.  Labor was under $4k. Parts and shipping the balance.

Fair winds and good luck with your decision.

rnebergall

• P323
  • P323 Owner
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Zufrieden
  • City: Grand Marais
  • State: MN
I should have mentioned that I also had the shop replace the shaft, prop, and cutlass bearing.  Got one of the new dripless shaft sealing systems, in place of the old, original packed system.  Shaft and prop, both pricey.  All this added just over $2,400 to the tab.

Again, I'm very happy with the new power.  Much smoother and quieter than the Volvo, with similar performance and many fewer worries.

Good luck.

rbrtfeld

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: RockStar
  • City: San Pedro
  • State: CA
When I got my Pearson in 2011 it had a bad MD 11. I found a used MD 11 from a Bera Marine dealer on the East Coast for 2,900 plus 300 for shipping. By the time I paid for removal of the old and in with the new To me MD11 I think I had over 8,000 in costs. She still runs good but If I had to do it over, I think I would put in a new Beta Marine. Rebuilding with new parts and labor would not make sense in my opinion. One thing To consider is a Pearson 323 with a new motor and a few upgrades is one sweet boat. I was on a mission for a while to buy a newer 36 ft boat, but came to realize that While newer and maybe more modern systems in a newer boat, the 323 is a jewel to sail if you add a few new systems and keep up with normal maintenance. As Ed so wisely put it, a boat is Not about the money all the time. The stories and experiences good and bad are priceless. Good luck

The Great Godsea

• P323
    • View Profile
Thank you. Thank you all.

The Great Godsea

• P323
    • View Profile
Hey, just wanted to update you, who were nice enough to give us some input.
Engine is NOT shot!
She needed a new starter, which believe it or not we found for $100 sitting on a shelf collecting dust at a mechanic who I found through Lockwood marine in Morgan, NJ (I really strongly recommend them).
Also need to replace the main seal, which is where the small oil drip is coming from.
And I suspect we need to replace the stuffing box... was squealing a bit now and then.
But otherwise.,she purred through the summer.
I guess it's true... it is not easy to kill a diesel.

Frayed Knot

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Frayed Knot
  • City: Myrtle Beach
  • State: SC
When I got my boat 4 years ago it had 1955 hours on the motor.  The hour timer was broke 3 years later I replaced it.  I now have another 300 on it not counting the three years when it was broke.  Change oil and filter regularly and minor fixes and she runs like a charm.  So the question is how many hours should she last?  Don't want to be 3 or 4 hundred miles away and she give up the goat.  Still fixing the water pump and other stuff but she runs good... 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 03:27:19 PM by Frayed Knot »

The Great Godsea

• P323
    • View Profile
I'm sure we're "in the same boat".
no idea how many hours are on this baby, but it looks clean, and it never seems to sputter or quit.

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
Great News- It is Human Nature to think the worst- Really really great news!

Bill1188

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Breaking Wind
  • City: Whitehall
  • State: MI
I just yanked the MD 11c out of my boat. If you need parts. Always in fresh water.