Author Topic: Introduction / New Owner  (Read 7749 times)

mjscottinnc

• P323
  • Pearson Sailor
    • View Profile
    • Island Cruising On the Sailboat Aine
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Aine
  • City: New Bern
  • State: NC
Introduction / New Owner
« on: September 16, 2015, 10:13:10 AM »
I probably should have posted this about two months ago, but I was so focused on getting the 323 home so that I could stop the flow of water into the boat that it just never entered my head to introduce myself. I purchased Hull #330 from a gentleman in NC, I live in New Bern, NC. I refurbish sailboats as a hobby, (ya, I know I'm insane... honey I bought another one... clearly so does my wife), and have focused on Pearsons for the last few. The first time I sailed a P28, I was amazed at how balanced the helm was, how stable the boat was, and how well the hulls were put together. I just finished the P28 and was looking for another project to start, I looked at a P30, P303, P33, P35 and the P323, I read the history of Pearson Yacht company and found it fascinating. I absolutely fell in love with the 323, I was like slipping on a pair of loafer you have owned for years... everything felt right. My boat had been pretty much abandoned by the owner for 3 to 5 years, not intentionally he had health issues so I can understand. Much of the wood forward of the main solon and some in the solon is rotted and every opening in the boat leaked and not just drips, but water flowed in. It was almost to the point where it might not be economically salvageable, and that just made me sad. I just could not stand to see this beauty die, so I bought it. Since bringing it home, new hatches, rebuild all the fixed ports, repacked the stuffing box, new mast boot, and new opening ports have slowed the flow of water to a trickle (just the anchor locker now). I can start to replace the teak woodwork now. I have a complete wood workshop and have been building furniture for years, so this should be the easy part. Anyway, I'm probably going to keep this one for myself when I done. Good to join you all.
P323 - Hull 330

Libations Too

• P323
    • View Profile
  • City: Berkelely, CA
Re: Introduction / New Owner
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 12:33:26 PM »
Welcome mj! I'm looking forward to your stories of restoration and adventures on your 323. Yes, these are fine boats...too good to abandon. Thanks for breathing new life into #330!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 12:14:16 PM by Libations Too »
Richard

Bill1188

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Breaking Wind
  • City: Whitehall
  • State: MI
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 12:10:40 PM »
Bought a 34 Catalina in 2012 and lived on it the next summer while my 323 was in a cradle. No comparison. Sold the Catalina in 2014 and splashed the Pearson. Although a little more spartan on the inside, the Pearson out sailed the Catalina and gave a feeling of confidence while out on the water. Pearson is a keeper.

mjscottinnc

• P323
  • Pearson Sailor
    • View Profile
    • Island Cruising On the Sailboat Aine
  • Vessel Name: Aine
  • City: New Bern
  • State: NC
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 09:44:26 AM »
Thanks for the kind words Richard, you have already been incredibly helpful to me with all the info you have posted. I have noticed that many of the owners list and publish a diary of repairs to their boats. I had never considered that before, but I thought it might be a good way to consolidate all the information and events in one place. So I have stated keeping track of everything I find and how I go about fixing, repairing, or replacing it. The posting can be found at www.selds.com/Pearson323.
P323 - Hull 330

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 05:55:27 PM »
Nice blog - you have us all on the edge of our seats.  And thank you for working to save the old girl.  As you commented, Pearson generally did good quality work, with high-quality layups; the 323 has good "bones", and with some cosmetic work should do you fine.

And if you thought the P28 had a seakindly motion, wait until you get the 323 out in the water!

Good luck. 

Captain Bri

• Brian
  • Ensign
  • Sailmaker
    • View Profile
    • RedSkySails.com
  • Model: Ensign
  • City: Anytown
  • State: Ct
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 09:36:22 PM »
Enjoyed reading about "The restoration of Áine".  I'll put a link to it on our website's projects page if you don't mind.  How is the restoration going?
Men and Ships; Rot in Port