Author Topic: Sailing NY Harbor to Block Island maybe Nantucket. seeking Advice  (Read 10764 times)

The Great Godsea

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: The Great Godsey
  • City: New Rochelle
  • State: NY
We are aiming to sail from our home port in Jersey City NJ out to Block Island, and if things are going well, another leg up to Nantucket. I'm seeking the wisdom of you obviously wise Pearson owners:
a. I'm not clear on whether i need to go up the east river, through hells gate and into Long Island sound, or if i head down to the bottom of Brooklyn, turn east and take the ocean route. Any suggestions?
b. between the tip of Montauk and Block Island, and between Block Island and Nantucket, i'm picking up a lot of online chat about currents, winds, etc. Looking for insight here as well.
c. if i DO take the ocean route, what can i expect as i round Montauk, especially if i need a break and decide to spend the night there?
d. Suggestions on good, sailboat friendly Marinas along the way?

Thanks in advance, Mark

Sea Haven

Re: Sailing NY Harbor to Block Island maybe Nantucket. seeking Advice
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 12:47:07 PM »
Mark,

I would run the northern route taking advantages of the tides and Harbor stops of Long Island Sound. More sightseeing too.

Timed right, you could probably ride a fair current all the way east and vice versa. Read 2015 Eldrigde on using fair current in and out of Newport and LIS as well as the East River

You also greater choice in stops should you need to.

If you do go, I expect you to stop at Mt. Sinai Harbor for a raft up and BBQ. Compare boats.

When do you plan on going?

"Sub" Ed

The Great Godsea

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 02:10:18 PM »
probably leaving 7/10 (friday) to begin moving our way east. Hey did someone say BBQ?! time to add a new way point on the trip plan!

Sea Haven

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 02:52:45 PM »
Mark,

My vacation is a month past that, our plan is to head west towards you staying overnight at the Worlds Fair Marina to catch a Met's game then possibly coming down the East river to hit "The Lady" and back depending on time.

Next year we should make it a fleet. Gives you this year to scout it out!

I'll send you a zip file containing ALL my waypoints and routes here on LIS (GPX Format), including the East River and points east of Orient Point. Should help in trip planning, and my mooring is marked as MSH559-15. If you tell me what GPS maybe we can convert to what you use.

Just a further point, while a south shore run would be nice, if you have the usual south westerlies, you'll have a hard time making good on the way back.

You COULD circumnavigate the island, outward to the south, inbound via the sound. The thing is SHOULD something go afoul, you won't need to run an inlet for safety , also more ports to choose on the north shore. Deeper water here, albeit rockier.

You're gonna have a great trip.

Ed

The Great Godsea

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 03:27:45 PM »
also, my gps is a garmin 740.

Sea Haven

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 04:46:20 PM »
Mark,

I had the 540.....the infamous *.adm files lol.

I don't see that extension on GPSBabel. I used to use GPS Utility but since I got a new PC with Windows 7 after my XP machine bit it, the dude (who shall remain nameless) would not honor the original purchase and requested I buy a new license..so I told him to stuff it and now stick mainly to android apps and Polar Navy/OpenCPN for my Nav tools. Both use GPX format which EVERYONE uses. An old Magellan Meridian handheld as my backup. Keeps me sailing and not playing video at the halm. I can xfr Waypoint/Routes like a fiend and use free NOAA ENC's like they're going out of style. Update my cartography monthly.

Ed

The Great Godsea

• P323
    • View Profile
With a HUGE assist from Ed from Sea Haven, from Glenn (MCGUIVER) Godsey, from Alex Khandros, and even from Sam (leave me alone i'm sleeping) Godsey... Great Godsea made over 300 miles from Jersey City to Block Island and back over the past 2 weeks.
What a Blast, What a great Adventure.
Traveling with the current up the East River and through Hells gate our Pearson got up to (see the photo) 11 knots!

23 hours straight through and we were sitting on the dock having cold Coronas and good cigars toasting to a great trip.

This boat is a CHAMP.
Cant wait for the next adventure.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 10:50:10 PM by SeaFever »

Sea Haven

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 01:36:29 PM »
Traveling with the current up the East River and through Hells gate our Pearson got up to (see the photo) 11 knots!

We call it the "NYC Sleigh ride!".

It's what a perfectly timed Hell's Gate passage can do!

My thanks to the Message board for giving us opportunities to meet up and crew together!

Heres a picture of the Captain enjoying the Metro view shortly before the 11kts!

Metro sailing can be just as fun, and just as scenic, as distant shores.