Author Topic: Resealing and Rebedding Fixed Ports  (Read 18239 times)

mjscottinnc

• P323
  • Pearson Sailor
    • View Profile
    • Island Cruising On the Sailboat Aine
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Aine
  • City: New Bern
  • State: NC
Re: Resealing and Rebedding Fixed Ports
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2015, 09:36:41 AM »
This is the first I've heard about different parts of the boat being hand layup vs. chopped mat, but it makes sense that that is what they would be doing. Thank goodness they had the foresight and discipline to hand lay the hull and deck, not every boat builder did.

On my fixed ports I'd estimate that 30% of the leaking came from the frame to deck joint and that was because the inner pressure frame bends up and away at the curves so no clamping.  The remaining 70% of leakage came through the window channel. On just one single window I could fill a large bowl (10 to 12 oz) with water from a single downpour.

We will see how it goes, I got a text from the powder coater and the frames will be ready this afternoon. So I'll be re-assembling and installing them this weekend, followed by the new NFM opening ports which arrived yesterday. Can't wait to finally have a dry boat.
P323 - Hull 330

mjscottinnc

• P323
  • Pearson Sailor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2015, 09:08:57 PM »
Richard,

One new revaluation; I re-read your reassembly procedure and started by dry fitting one of my windows. On the first one, in one of the corners the window gasket slid all the way down into the channel on both sides of the window. This can only happen when the channel is so wide that no pressure is exerted on the gasket to glass interface. I measured the width of the window channel on all the frames and it varies widely, it should be relative consistent. I will be adjusting the channel internal wall to obtain a consistent channel width for the full length of the frame. This should help reduce the reliance on liquid sealant.
P323 - Hull 330

mjscottinnc

• P323
  • Pearson Sailor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2015, 02:50:15 PM »
Last FYIs,

I finished rebuilding all 4 ports today using the Catalina Direct kit and Richard's example. Tip #1: To get the right amount of window gasket I would dry fit around the window glass and once I got to the beginning I would cut it 1/8 to 3/16 longer. When I completed the final assembly the gasket fit was perfect. Doing the first window was a complete mess and took forever, way too much caulk. Some of my frame sets had bleed holes for the excess caulking to exit and some didn't. The first one didn't... which made it the most difficult. By the time I got to the fourth one, I had adjust the caulking to the right amount, and there was very little mess. When I finished the fourth one it looked like I had been doing this procedure for years. Tip #2: I had the frames on two pipe clamps with 2 x 4s at each end to slowly draw the frame together. Sometimes the ends of the frames would not line up when drawn together, so I would use a third pipe clamp and cross clamp on top of the frames so I could move the clamps together. For example if the top frame was too far to the left to meet the bottom of the frame. One end of the cross clamp would go on the left outside of the top frame and the other end of the cross clamp would go on the right outside of the bottom frame. Turning the clamp would draw the two frames together, worked like a champ. Tip #3: 1 Qt of mineral spirits and 3 rolls of paper towels was the right amount for all four ports.

I do have to say, the Catalina Direct gaskets and caulking (Dow 795) makes a real nice finished fixed port. If I didn't do all the work, I'd swear they were new.
P323 - Hull 330

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2015, 10:36:45 AM »
If you just want the vinyl glazing channel it is available from CR Laurence- very reasonable for 100 ft.

I used this glazing channel without sealant and it works with no leaks.

crlaurence.com

Frayed Knot

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Frayed Knot
  • City: Myrtle Beach
  • State: SC
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2015, 04:07:35 PM »
Just finished doing the starboard windows... what a job.  Had to space fiberglass and all that stuff.   Powder coated the  frames, did put sealant in the glazing channel inside and out, never want to do this again.  The other side looks like hell and they are going to stay that way for a long time or they start leaking.  Thanks for all the helpful stuff and they do look great.