Author Topic: relocate shower sump  (Read 8021 times)

Eddy

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
relocate shower sump
« on: September 16, 2014, 02:37:07 PM »
I'd like to move the sump forward to free up space. Can anyone tell me how the sump is attached to the hull? Any info appreciated.  Thanks.

Chelsea

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Chelsea
  • City: Muskegon
  • State: MI
Re: relocate shower sump
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 02:55:25 PM »
Eddy,
I believe the sump is integral to the boat. That is, the base of the sump is the top of the bilge. There would be no reason you could not move it but it will have the pump work harder to evacuate the water from the sump.  I replaced the Jabsco pump this summer but did not test the draw for length or lift.  It pumps efficiently so you should have no issues.
Lauri
s/v Chelsea

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 06:00:08 PM »
I ripped out my fiberglass sump and replaced it with a tupperware container many years ago. My tank had about 15 self tapping screws holding the lid on. It was maybe the only original item on the boat I threw in the dumpster... It is bonded to the bilge but is a tank of itself. The new tupperware one is light, east to clean and impervious to gray water. My icebox drains into it too. The shower inlet fitting is low so the shower grate drains well. The ice box drain hose is high so there is no chance of gray water splashing around in the ice box drain hose. I don't even use the lid anymore. I'd like to move it forward- right behind the mast step. That would open up an area for cool storage in the upper bilge.

I made a manifold for the original line to the pump so I can pull nuisance water from the bottom of the bilge or the tupperware tank.

I made the strainer from an old 35mm film can- That's how old this setup is. It works great. I'm always on the lookout for the perfect container- Long, deep and narrow.

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 11:14:42 PM »
Eddy, I visited another 323 a couple of years ago who did this.  I cannot say how, but what I can say is that it freed up an extraordinary amount of space - it seems like a very worthwhile mod.

Eddy

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 05:44:25 AM »
Thanks for the info and picture I like that setup you have. Is it very difficult to remove the original sump?

Bill1188

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Breaking Wind
  • City: Whitehall
  • State: MI
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 08:54:40 AM »
The sump is glued to the bilge. I pulled hard and it broke loose. I took the pump that emptied the shower sump and turned it into a backup bilge pump. Now the soapy shower water goes into the bilge, sloshes around, and when pumped out leaves the bilge squeaky clean.