Author Topic: Origo 6000 Stove/Oven  (Read 5236 times)

Sea Haven

Origo 6000 Stove/Oven
« on: July 14, 2014, 01:50:56 PM »
Shipmates,
Finally got around to replacing the original Homestrand Pressurized Alchohol Stove/Oven with an Origo 6000 non-Pressurized Alchohol Stove/oven. It’s a tad taller, less deep and not as wide. After I pulled the stove, I removed the two SS brackets (which I happen to notice is identical to the ladder brackets, so I’ll keep ‘em) an the two wood support blocks that go between the fiberglass and the brackets. I then added a 10”x10”x3/4” piece of mahogany I had laying around to each side, remounted the existing wooden blocks, and mounting the Origo hardware to them. So the opening just became an 1 ½” smaller. Piece of cake. As for the Admiral, she loves it.
I’m not going to go into all of the reasons why I went with non-pressurized Alcohol vs Propane/Kero/etc much less just keep the existing pressurized Alcohol stove, but suffice to say even with its increased expense, I couldn’t buy enough alcohol over the life to justify the delta of ~$1500US Origo vs the ~$2300US for a complete soup-to-nuts Propane system. I priced a single source Kero from the UK at over ~$3500US! $2K buys a LOT of alcohol lol!
I do compliment it with a single burner Kenyon Propane stove as a backup and for a quick cup of Java. This weekend the Admiral plans to break in the oven with Cinnamon Buns!
“Sub” Ed