Author Topic: We're in and lovin' it!  (Read 4952 times)

Sea Haven

We're in and lovin' it!
« on: June 09, 2014, 12:15:16 PM »
Shipmates,

At 1728 on June 6th, when we cast off the docklines, summer officially started for Beth and I.

I am extremely pleased with all the work I did on the A4, also I absolutely LOVE the PSS Dripless shaft seal I had installed. She needed it. The old bronze shaft was past due to be replaced as well. I swear I picked up an knot at my cruising RPM, now about 5 kts at 1800rpm. I keep a pack of extra length zip ties by the Shaft Seal in case of the flooding that can occur if you don't take care of the Drip less shaft seal, most often caused by the stainless steel rotor backing off.  Not a worry for me because checking it is included in my pre-underway checklist, I also monitor the engine  both visually and with the IR thermometer every 30 minutes underway when it's running. Part of watch standing practice which I picked up in the service. We also installed a VERY LOUD high water alarm for the bilge. Nothing is truly risk free, that's why we have risk management. But seeing NO drips and not having to worry about packing is a plus!! It's not for everyone, but I'm smiling ear to ear.

Engine "might" be running a tad cool 115 deg measured just downstream from the thermostat housing. I moved the temp sender there after I installed the Cole Hersee High temp Alarm switch in the traditional temp sender location on the block. Using an IR handheld thermometer, reading the engine head in various locations underway at cruising RPM gives me ~165 deg. I plan to monitor it over the summer. Also, I'm now using Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 engine oil which is designed to help provide the proper frictional characteristics necessary for wet-clutch common engine/transmission systems. It also has a high zinc content which is good for the flat tipped valves that are on the A4. The A4 seems to love it! I now have ~110 psi compression on all cylinders so it appears the valves that may have been stuck on cylinder 3 is now working fine. I also make it a point to add Marvel Mystery oil to the gas. NO steam or smoke now at the exhaust!

Still more to do, but loving it all the more! First I need to start with tuning the rig...............

That night we sat to watch "JAWS", which is the tradition on the night we launch the boat and begin OUR summer.
"Hooper drives the boat Chief..."

"Sub" Ed
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 01:24:56 PM by Sea Haven »