Author Topic: Fender Problem  (Read 7337 times)

Rusty Pelican

• P323
  • http://rustypelican.blogspot.com/
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Rusty Pelican
  • City: Hingham
  • State: MA
Fender Problem
« on: May 16, 2014, 08:29:05 AM »
I have a mooring and a dock slip. The boat spends most of the time at the dock.  The P-323 toe rail is such that my fender lines while at the dock chafe into my precious teak toe rail. 
The area is 360 degrees protected, most of the waves are from boat traffic.
I have tried chafe tape, tubing and carpet strips to no avail.  I do not want to install SS rub strakes.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bob G

Libations Too

• P323
    • View Profile
  • City: Berkelely, CA
Re: Fender Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 12:15:41 PM »
The SS rub strakes are the best all around solution. I have them on Libations and even though they are not perfect, they are the best option that I have seen. The downside of the SS strake is that eventually the sharp edges at either end will damage the finish...but still better than a line rubbing against the rail.

A partial alternative to fenders is to position a cleat on your dock and hang one of those round inflatable balls from the dock. Choose one large enough to keep the boat well off of the dock and position it carefully so that it meets the boat at the widest point of the beam. The downside is that you need to tie up at nearly the same spot every time, have very good spring lines, and it is not with you when you travel to another dock.
Richard

Chelsea

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Chelsea
  • City: Muskegon
  • State: MI
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 11:26:54 PM »
I have the fenders attached to the dock and Chelsea caresses them gently and never nears touching.  Works great !  (we have floating docks 24 inches above the water) and no tide.....
Lauri
s/v Chelsea

Now or Never!

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Now or Never!
  • City: Brunswick
  • State: GA
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 08:04:06 AM »
"Now or Never!" has SS rubstrakes.  Never a problem with damage to finish and very useful when docking at fixed piers.

Rusty Pelican

• P323
  • http://rustypelican.blogspot.com/
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Rusty Pelican
  • City: Hingham
  • State: MA
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 11:44:26 AM »
Thanks for the replies. 
I tried attaching fenders to the dock, unfortunately it did not work out.  Where I dock is an estuary with significant current, and sometimes I over shoot my spot.
The fender lines "saw" up and down on the rub rail, so I am trying running the fender line through a piece of clear plastic hosing. The line runs up and down, while the plastic hose stays still.
Seems to be working so far.

BobG