Author Topic: Head Upgrade  (Read 8078 times)

Sea Haven

Head Upgrade
« on: March 25, 2014, 02:32:31 PM »
I decided to take the time this past first weekend of spring to commence the 2014 Spring refit. We had a warm day in the here in the northeast and with an estimated 36 hours of refit work ahead, I plan to be well ahead of the yard when it comes time for Spring commissioning.

Though not the most critical item on the list, I decided to start with pulling the old head to insure I had room to install the “Natures Head Composting Toilet” I took with me from my previous boat. To my great satisfaction I discovered this head seems to be designed specifically for the 323! For those of you who have yet to understand the pros and cons of a composting head, just click on the aforementioned link to read about them.

As you can see from the photo’s below, there is not only room fore and aft, but it appears I have easier access now behind the head itself, as well as a good 1/8” clearance for the Lavatory Sink to swing into position.

About 9 years ago I had installed an MSD Type 3 system on a Bristol 29.9 I owned, holding tank, plumbing, etc. I was never really happy with it. Always seemed to be last in line for the pump out boat when it was needed the most, and even with the best hose and double clamps we had “head odor”. Another item that needs to be winterized, another item that can fail at an inopportune moment.

Then when I moved to a MacGregor 26X, which had NO room for a holding tank and we weren’t happy/comfortable with the “SaniPotti”. So after a bit of research, which included listening to others at the Mac Sailors board, I went ahead and installed the “Natures Head”. We fell in love with it so much that when I sold the 26X to purchase the 323, we reinstalled the original “SaniPotti” and took the “Natures Head” with us.

I plan to plumb the exhaust hose out the aft inlet of the head, outboard through a hole cut through the fiberglass panel BELOW the lower wood trim. From there it will turn right and go aft through an existing hole in the head/salon bulkhead, proceeding aft inboard of the starboard water tank. Then inboard around the nav station on the starboard side of the bilge up to the starboard side of the A4 entering the Bilge Blower Exhaust Hose.

I had previously purchased the Nicro Day/Night Plus - 3" Day/Night Vent w/ Stainless Cover when I had the 26X in the hope of powering the exhaust solely by the sun. But I couldn’t find a place to mount it without running the exhaust hose out in the open, same thing with the 323. So like my previous install, I plan to use the 12V exhaust fan that comes with the head and just power it off my “house” Battery. Since I’m on a mooring I have solar panels charging the battery, so it really doesn’t affect my power budget anyway. Also, being on the mooring adds the benefit of swinging with the wind, so I get a constant light, but natural flow of air in through my Engine Compartment Inlet Vent, around the engine, and then out the blower hose anyway. I’ll run the wiring alongside the exhaust hose keeping the installation simple. Bottom line, NO head air within the boat.

All in all, I give this product 5 Stars in its design, ease of installation, and application with a 323. For those of who plan on upgrading your system or even repairing to the point of replacing your existing MSD, I would highly recommend you look at this as an alternative. FWIW, it’s easy to clean, fits the….errr….tuchas nicely (a plus with the Admiral), and even looks decent. I can easily empty the urine tank at the Marina’s Bathroom where I’m not allowed to dump a “SaniPotti”. At the seasons end, a trashbag and visit to the flower garden is the limit of winterizing.

I lost: head odor, dependence on a specific pump out method, head and holding tank “winterizing”, Head Pump maintenance/replacement. I gained: Extra storage where the old holding tank was, a nearly maintenance free system, and the prettiest flower garden in the spring!

“Sub” Ed

« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 12:30:43 PM by Sea Haven »

Wandering_bill

• P323
  • Hull #193 'Wanderer'
    • View Profile
Re: Head Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 07:18:23 PM »
Looks like a great upgrade Ed!  I will keep this in mind for the future...
Www.sailingwanderer.com

slacker

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • City: Charleston
  • State: SC
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 07:10:18 PM »
I'll be installing an Air Head in the next few weeks. Really looking forward to losing the smell and gaining all of that space under the V berth.

Sea Haven

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 10:10:02 AM »
Awesome!

Take pictures and share!

The more variety of products we show, the better we can make informed decisions.  :)

"Sub" Ed
SY Sea Haven
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 10:15:42 AM by Sea Haven »

slacker

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • City: Charleston
  • State: SC
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 10:29:12 PM »
So we tackled the holding tank and plumbing today. It was wayyyy easier than we expected, but it was still kind of gross. The intake hose came off super easy and the no water came in because when you turn a sea cock to the off position no water comes in, right? Then we went to take on the outlet hose. The sea cock was frozen, but with a butt load of PB blaster and some muscle we got it moved to 90 degrees from parallel. Sweet, this will be easy. Pulled the hose off... GUSH of water starts pouring in. It turns out the sea cock was closed, but can't quite stop all of the water from moving. So we found the sweet spot, jammed a bung in there, and went on about our business.

Now we had to get rid of the holding tank. No pump outs on Sunday, but no big deal because we had it pumped out just a little while ago. We strategically cut and plugged hoses until everything was disconnected. We had to pry the front of the plywood crib for the holding tank off in order to get it to stand on end. Once we did that we stood it up and moved it out. It turned out that the thing was still 3/4 of the way full with fun in a box. We wrapped that sucker up in three trash bags and dock carted it straight to the dumpster.

The toilet came out really easily, we just had to cut and wiggle the "poop to tank" line out. The vent for the tank goes to a small little valve on the side of the boat. While I was looking at the valve, trying to figure out what to do with it, the valve broke in half and fell into the water. So for now we have a nice 1/2" hole just below the deck. We took the platform that the head was mounted on off and threw the Air Head in there. Plenty of clearance of the sink.

I have pictures, but am too tired/stupid to insert them now.