Author Topic: Cradle  (Read 13695 times)

Kgorby

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: lucky lady
  • City: Sandusky
  • State: OH
Cradle
« on: February 21, 2014, 04:12:11 PM »
I need to make a cradle for 1978 323, does anyone have the measurement Thanks

fiatracer163

• P323
  • P323 Maven
    • View Profile
  • City: Milwaukee, WI
Re: Cradle
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 12:48:41 PM »
Did you ever find the info that you were looking for. I might have to do the same thing and would be interested in what you find.

Kgorby

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 10:43:33 AM »
not yet, I'll post something if I do

Dave

• P323
  • P323 hull #376
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 12:03:46 PM »
Could you explain cradle a bit more? I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish?
Dave

adventurer, ex-hippy, good timer, (crook? quite possibly), manic self-publicist, terribly bad at personal relationships, often thought to be completely out to lunch

Kgorby

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 11:10:48 AM »
just a metal frame with four post to store the boat on

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 02:21:49 PM »
What's wrong with six tripods, some chain, and a block of wood for under the keel?
This is the way mine is always set up on the hard.
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

Libations Too

• P323
    • View Profile
  • City: Berkelely, CA
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 11:01:14 AM »
I do not have a cradle for my 323...she's in the water year round. But my understanding is that design/construction of a cradle depends a little on how and where it will be used. If the goal is simple out-of-water storage something similar to what Dolce Vita described can work...but such an arrangement can be risky if on unstable ground. I know of at least one instance where, over the course of a wet winter, the earth beneath the keel (carrying most of the boat's weight) of a 50-footer settled while the tripod stands did not. The result in the spring was a damaged hull...dimples where the tripod stands had punched into the hull as the keel settled.

One of the best cradles that I have seen was constructed of three substantial I-beams running fore and aft with cross beams welded between to form a rigid frame. The center I-beam carried the weight of the keel while the two outer I-beams sprouted stands that cradled the hull. This cradle was rigid and strong enough that it could be dragged onto and off of a flat bed truck with the boat (a medium to heavy displacement 34-footer) resting securely in the cradle.
Richard

Rusty Pelican

• P323
  • http://rustypelican.blogspot.com/
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Rusty Pelican
  • City: Hingham
  • State: MA
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 12:51:19 PM »
I have had my boat for 30+ years now.  Every fall I use this company to haul, de-rig, transport and block my P323 in my back yard.    http://www.simmsbros.com/marshfield-ma-boat-transport.htm.
My yacht club also owns and operates a boat yard.
Speaking from experience, if blocked correctly and inspected periodically, there is a zero chance of your boat "hanging" on the jack stands.  Most damage occurs when the jack stands are not chained to each other, or tying a boat cover to the jack stands which can cause the stands "walk off",  causing the boat to topple over.
I have friends that have transported their boats from NE to Florida, bow to stern to keel shrink-rap to protect boat from road debris.   
The P323 cradle was an option at time of purchase and they were made out of wood, your chances are slim finding one in usable condition today.

bob

Chelsea

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Chelsea
  • City: Muskegon
  • State: MI
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 12:09:37 AM »
If you want measurements and pictures of a cradle I would be happy to measure/photograph the one for Chelsea.  In Lake Michigan we use cradles often and it's very easy for the boat yard to haul.  The bring boat & cradle to the haul out and lift boat with carry lift.  Saves running all around the yard with the slowest most expensive equipment.  The base is 6x12 feet and it's steel I beam construction.  The photo attached was about April 1.  It was a LONG winter.. Global warming is not evident this year.

Note, there are five "I-Beams" that make up the base, two long stringers (12 ft) front to back.  On the three center beams there is a flat plate for the keel to rest on.  Two angled supports for the corner stanchions.  These rest just behind the lift points for haul out.  I can get the corner heights off this weekend if the rain and wind stops.  I'm 3 hours from the boat.

Lauri
s/v Chelsea

Kgorby

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 06:40:08 AM »
This is what I'm looking for, thanks for replying

Chelsea

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 06:41:48 PM »
Do you need more accurate measurements? If so let me know and I can photograph it this weekend and take more detailed measurements.
Lauri
s/v Chelsea

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 07:31:23 PM »
If I had a proper cradle I could Winter-store ALMA at Utch's Marina on the Delaware Bay Canal In Cape May.
Utch's will not allow a boat supported simply on "poppet" stands. The winds sometimes howl through funneled by a bridge adjacent to Utch's and after a few boats have fallen over they made this rule.

ALMA had another boat, a PEARSON 28, fall into her at Riverside Marina in NJ!

A yard hand was doing something to "Barefootin'" and she fell right against ALMA. My late friend and captain of Barefootin' was there when it happened. There was no damage! Thanks Bill Shaw!

One time I asked the yard to move the 6X6 dunnage under ALMA's keel so I could dab the last of the bottom paint.

Again the yard hand surprised me- He used the two rear poppet stands as jacks and lifted ALMA's stern right up 'till the logs under the keel were loose enough to move! I certainly wouldn't suggest this but again it is a tribute to the 323's strong hull (especially at the waterline where the hull is reinforced on the inside.

If I were to design a steel cradle I would be sure to make it so it could be bolted together and broken down for transport in a pick-up truck. I've painted my self into a corner many times and I wouldn't want to have to leave an expensive custom cradle behind...

When poppet stands were in short supply right before Super Storm Sandy I made this jury-rig to keep ALMA from falling over. The yard off Great Bay used only 5 stands and I felt ALMA needed seven. There were no more stands available.

Do you know how Super Storm Sandy got her name?

The barometric pressure and sustained windspeed wasn't enough to grant the insurance companies their "Hurricane Deductables" so Sandy became a "Named Storm"!

The "Named Storm" deductible is a percentage of the policy's value NOT the $500 or whatever normal deductible-

Most folks in NJ still haven't been compensated for Sandy damage...

Chelsea

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 11:14:29 AM »
A bit more on cradles.  When I purchased Chelsea she was in Chicago and I boat out of Muskegon, MI.  I sailed her up and picked up the cradle in a 6x12 foot open trailer from U-Haul.  It slipped right in (with a fork lift) being cautious of the weight.  And forked off at the marina. 
The yard likes cradles as they can move boats easily if they need to.
s/v Chelsea