Author Topic: Original mast finish  (Read 6632 times)

geneb

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Sea Gypsy
  • City: Cambridge
  • State: MD
Original mast finish
« on: October 03, 2013, 10:38:46 AM »
Does anyone know what type of paint and primer was used as the original finish on the mast and boom on the 1980 model P323?  I want to do some refinishing but I will not be removing the original finish.
TIA

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
Re: Original mast finish
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 11:32:27 AM »
My boat is a 1977 (hull #42).
This past spring, I disassembled my mast down to a bare pole and had the yard's paint shop strip it to bare aluminum and repaint it.  During the early sanding, they determined that the primer and paint were consistent with AwlGrip, which is what they used to recoat it.  The process was complex, involving cleaning, chemical etch, primer, and three coats of paint.  Glad I decided to let the pros do it, despite the $2k price tag!
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

Captain Bri

• Brian
  • Ensign
  • Sailmaker
    • View Profile
    • RedSkySails.com
  • Model: Ensign
  • City: Anytown
  • State: Ct
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 04:41:51 PM »
Hey Ed,

How is the mast looking now - a few years after painting it?  I am getting ready to pull the stick but don't know whether paint is in the budget yet.  Since my paint is so far gone I am considering just removing what is left and go without.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 04:51:16 PM by SeaFever »
Men and Ships; Rot in Port

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 06:41:57 PM »
Except for a few scratches where the whisker pole got away from us, its still in perfect shape.  I took great pains to coat each and every screw I put into it with TefGel to avoid SS/Aluminum corrosion, and so far it seems to be working.  I always get comments on how good it looks.
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 10:16:25 PM »
Years ago I had an expert paint my boom. I was able to take it to his auto restoration shop. He used automotive paint. It still looks good but corrosion is around every fastener. The mast is another story. I decided to strip the mast and leave it 'natural'. I couldn't be happier. A nice black boom covered with a sail cover and the exposed mast with its natural patina. There is no corrosion on the bare mast. I cut clothes detergent bottles to make gaskets where ever stainless hardware could cause galvanic corrosion.